Does Sci Fi Channel broadcast in HD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
shanewalker said:
I would simply keep pressure on UHD to carry those series over from Sci-Fi and other sources...they're already doing so w/ Battlestar Galactica, and they're going to be showing Enterprise in the Fall.

UnivesalHD only shows programs produced by... Universal. Stargate is produced by MGM, so I doubt you will see them on UHD. Not sure who owns MGM.

shanewalker said:
I would simply keep pressure on UHD to carry those series over from Sci-Fi and other sources...they're already doing so w/ Battlestar Galactica, and they're going to be showing Enterprise in the Fall.

Enterprise is going to be on HDNet, not Universal HD. But regardless, it wil be in HD!

Ken F said:
With SciFi under new ownership, you can probably expect that channel go HD in 2007.

Huh??!!! Is this new or did I miss something.
Who owns Sci-fi channel now, Universal, MGM, none of the above?

Crap, while googling to try to figure this, just found out Stargate SG-1 has been NOT been renewed - looks like this is the last season.
Nice how they announce it right after the 200th episode!

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=2&id=37607

jdr01930 said:
Crap, while googling to try to figure this, just found out Stargate SG-1 has been NOT been renewed - looks like this is the last season.
Nice how they announce it right after the 200th episode!

I'm not surprised really. But they are looking at making part 2 & 3 of the movie version.

My guess on this is two-fold: Sci Fi is trying to cut expenses by dropping SG-1 because Tapping, Judge and Shanks have got to be pulling down pretty large salaries per episode codsidering that 2 of the 3 have 10 years invested in the series and one has about 9 and sort of a half seasons invested. Depending on their contracts and SAG rules, they're likely hauling down very nice salaries, but would probably like to move on in their careers. Browder, Black and Bridges are new to the show, but Black and Bridges are known names and probably are getting a bit more than scale, I would imagine.

The second issue: stories. After 10 years and saving Earth oh, I dunno, 10-15 times, from the bad guys out there...what do you do after you've defeated alien parasites bent on galactic conquest, replicating "bugs" bent on galactic conquent and now ascended beings bent on galactic conquest? You start running out of decent ideas after 10 years and 215 episodes and have raised the stakes with every "bad guy" you've invented.

I'm sure that some of the cast may go to Atlantis (Black would make for a fun addition to Atlantis, as would Browder) and the others may show up from time to time as well.

Between Atlantis and BSG, I'll be okay with it, as long as those hang around for a few more seasons. And SG1 will undoubtedly last in syndication for a very long time to come (maybe on UHD even!). :)

rockymtnhigh said:
Enterprise is going to be on HDNet, not Universal HD. But regardless, it wil be in HD!

You're right...my bad. I knew that, but slipped my mind. So, maybe we need to start writing HDNet to pick these non-Universal shows up, huh?

Just my opinion, but here goes. With the number of HD sets out there now and the sales numbers of HD sets continuing to rise, it is just a matter of time before these channels will be forced to go to HD or die. As more of us get HD sets and want more and more HD programming, the broadcasters (satellite and cable) will have to make some bandwidth decisions. Do they keep the SD channels or will they be forced to drop some of them to make room for more HD channels. After 2 years of HD living, I can tell you I specifically look for HD shows to watch. I hate watching SD shows and will do so only if nothing else is on. As more people become accustomed to watching HD, they too will beging to stay away from the SD channels (or should we rename them LD, for Low Def). I would say any channels not ready for HD by the end of 2007 should start planning their funeral.

I disagree. It takes far too much bandwidth for every channel to be carried in HD and there's just some channels that will likely never go HD but will still be popular (game shows are one thing that some people are addicted to, but the point of taking them to HD is what?).

I don't know what the long-term solution is, unless it's IPTV...

I really don't understand the SCIFI channel. They should definitely go HD if at all possible... but it appears that they suffer from a rudderless decision making process.

Just a few months ago there was talk of adding another spin off of SG1 to the mix making it a 3 fold franchise on the channel... now they want to drop the show off because the LIVE show ratings are NOT high enough. Why I state the LIVE condition is because I think they are making a distinction between people who are willing to suffer through the commericials and who are not. And anyone who watches or follows a new episode/show on SCIFI knows that you can hardly stand to watch the show LIVE for all the commericials, you get about 5 minutes of show and 3 minutes of commericial. I would have given up on it long ago had it not been for the DVR and skipping the commericials. They chop it so poorly that its no wonder people don't want to watch it LIVE. It had nothing to do with the real content of the show.

This announcement also doesn't suprise me to much as I saw a marketting ploy during the commericials (I was skipping) for going onto a website last week during the show (during a 'very brief period go to this website for additional material' or something similar)... I can't recall whether it was in the SG1 or the SGA show but reaked of 'count my viewers' marketing. First time I have noticed it for these shows, so I suspect it was new.

I also wouldn't be suprised if they try to [A] move Eureka (a show I really *want* to like, but it seems to try too hard) to the time slot, or try to put this new wrestling show (yeah wrestling, that makes me think SCIFI..mmm boy!) into a larger time slot.

If SCIFI doesn't go HD and develop a rudder... I would really like to see a new channel come in and fill (or compete) in that market segment... in HD of course...

Just my rant and 2 cents.

Last edited:
Didn't Sci Fi buy the rights to the new (last year), cancelled Night Stalker series? I wonder if there's any chance they get shown on UNHD? Still waiting for those un-aired episodes.:)

long_time_DNC said:
I disagree. It takes far too much bandwidth for every channel to be carried in HD and there's just some channels that will likely never go HD but will still be popular (game shows are one thing that some people are addicted to, but the point of taking them to HD is what?).

I don't know what the long-term solution is, unless it's IPTV...

Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy just announced they will be in HD starting next month for the new season.

My local ABC news station just went HD as well.

Brian

That special thing was a web address to see an outake from the Atlantis episode. I was watching live, because I usually do on Friday anyway, as well as DVR'ing it. Anyway, during one the commercial breaks, they adverted the link and the password.

Just for kicks, I tried to get there and see what the content was. Ha! I couldn't get to that link for beans. I (and probably everyone else watching that had a broadband connection) was trying to get there.

The content was supposed to be available until 2am, but I only tried for about 5-10 minutes and gave up. Couldn't get there as it was just too tied-up. Wonder how hard their server got hit? :D

waltinvt said:
Didn't Sci Fi buy the rights to the new (last year), cancelled Night Stalker series? I wonder if there's any chance they get shown on UNHD? Still waiting for those un-aired episodes.:)

I thought Night Stalker and Threshold were both well done. I would be very happy if we got more episodes of each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)