Does Sci Fi Channel broadcast in HD?

If the reason behind the cancellation is the cost of the series, Sci-Fi may be too cheap to bring them back no matter the outcry.

"Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound ...... Nothing comes to mind" -- Jack O'Neill

It's entirely possible that's the main reason. Three of the main cast members have got to be pulling down fairly hefty salaries by now. It may go to some other outlet now, or be done as TV movies.

If it goes to another outlet, I'd probably be ok with that. TV movies...hmm...

"Cool!...and check" -- Jack O'Neill

long_time_DNC said:
There are several "save stargate" sites on the web now and it looks like Sci Fi is beginning to take notice, based on this article:
http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/cooper_isg-1i_will_go_on.shtml

Sounds like some interesting ideas may be in the pondering stages...

I disagree that SCIi-FI channel is taking notice. All the article implies is that Stargate: SG1 will live on, not that it will live on with the SCI-FI channel. It would be nice however if the show were picked up for season 11 by a channel that would broadcast it in HI-DEF (HD-Lite if you are a Dish subscriber :().

wtb955 said:
I disagree that SCIi-FI channel is taking notice. All the article implies is that Stargate: SG1 will live on, not that it will live on with the SCI-FI channel. It would be nice however if the show were picked up for season 11 by a channel that would broadcast it in HI-DEF (HD-Lite if you are a Dish subscriber :().

They may not be noticing, that's true...maybe wishful thinking on my part, reading more into it (somewhere between the lines) than is really there...

It'd be almost too much to hope for that it'd be picked up and broadcast in HD (Lite or otherwise). It would be really nice though if that happened! :)

long_time_DNC said:
They may not be noticing, that's true...maybe wishful thinking on my part, reading more into it (somewhere between the lines) than is really there...

It'd be almost too much to hope for that it'd be picked up and broadcast in HD (Lite or otherwise). It would be really nice though if that happened! :)

It would be nice. Perhaps if I take up Voodoo, sacrifice chickens and turn dolls into pin cushions, that will do the trick! :D

bkushner said:
As a major watcher of this network (Stargates, Eureka, Battlestar Galactica, etc) I have written the network and called many times about HD plans.

They are happy to tell me again and again, that they have NO PLANS to go HD and it isn't even being discussed. They seem proud of their stance. My last contact with them was about 6/7 weeks ago at the start of the new Stargate seasons.

Shame really, there is no other network I watch more and no other networks who's programming screams out for HD. I mean I can get Desperate Housewives in HD but not Stargate? Sad!

Brian

Maybe you could post the contact info you are using and more people could start contacting?

JohnTomFerg said:
Just a few months ago there was talk of adding another spin off of SG1 to the mix making it a 3 fold franchise on the channel... now they want to drop the show off because the LIVE show ratings are NOT high enough. Why I state the LIVE condition is because I think they are making a distinction between people who are willing to suffer through the commericials and who are not. And anyone who watches or follows a new episode/show on SCIFI knows that you can hardly stand to watch the show LIVE for all the commericials, you get about 5 minutes of show and 3 minutes of commericial. I would have given up on it long ago had it not been for the DVR and skipping the commericials. They chop it so poorly that its no wonder people don't want to watch it LIVE. It had nothing to do with the real content of the show.

Do you suppose they charge more for a commercial at either end of the bloc? I would imagine they do, especially since those are the only commercials that DVR watchers usually see.

Perhaps it would be more successful to petition Dish to carry Sci-Fi in full 480p in their HD tier. Not true HDTV, but certainly better than what they have now.

It wouldn't even need to be 480p. Just give it a lot of bandwidth at 480i in the SD tier. Note that DVD is 480i and it looks very good on a HDTV set. I've been saying this for a long time, about 3 years now.

Somewhere in the entire Dish channel lineup, including internationals, just don't offer 1 SD channel that you were going to offer and give the bandwidth to Sci-Fi. Heck, just offer 1 less free demo channel and give that bandwidth to Sci-Fi.

Tom Bombadil said:
It wouldn't even need to be 480p. Just give it a lot of bandwidth at 480i in the SD tier. Note that DVD is 480i and it looks very good on a HDTV set. I've been saying this for a long time, about 3 years now.

Somewhere in the entire Dish channel lineup, including internationals, just don't offer 1 SD channel that you were going to offer and give the bandwidth to Sci-Fi. Heck, just offer 1 less free demo channel and give that bandwidth to Sci-Fi.

I thought a DVD player with progressive scan pumped through Component Video is 480p?

But yes, my DVDs look better than ever on my HD set; for sure. But I would be really happy with more bandwidth for Sci Fi;

for all the complaining everyone does about HD-Lite; watching the PQ on Sci Fi (Eureka and Atlantis are particularly bad) drives me nuts. I watch 4:3 upconverted reruns of Atlantis on the Denver ABC affiliate, and it is sooooo much nicer!!!

If Sci-Fi broadcasts only in SD, where all these great quality 1080i SG1 and Atlantis episodes are coming from?
Binary newsgroups are full of them. Atlantis is up to 3x04 in 1080i now.

Why don't we start an official pettion and send it to the SciFi Channel requesting HD? Hopefully then they'll listen.

SciFer said:
Why don't we start an official pettion and send it to the SciFi Channel requesting HD? Hopefully then they'll listen.

It would have to be one heck of a big petition, and even then, I don't know how much good it would do. Sadly, we've had this discussion before. Maybe someday they will get their act together.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)