Does STANDARD INSTALLATION Cover Ethernet/ Network Cabling or Wiring?

ccuser

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2008
title says it all...almost. I am just curious to know.

Dish requires phone or ethernet connection for many reasons. Since I dont have phone line, can I ask installer to run ethernet to receiver from router (70 - 100 ft) under (or as a part of) STANDARD INSTALLATION? or
would it be for additional cost? if so, what would be offer appropriate cost of it ?

Find someone with some network no-how to help you out, if that is not your thing.

Or if you have a wireless router, connect a wireless game adapter to the ethernet port on the back of the receiver and add the adapter's MAC to the list of devices allowed to connect wirelessly to the router.

of go to your local best buy or radio shack and get a powerline ethernet set up... because no, its not included... and most of us don't carry the wire to do it anyway.

ethernet over power is the best way to go if your hose is not prewired for cat5/6 . Sling sells a product called slinglink that we are required to install if a customer has a 612/622/722 and has a router on the high speed.

all those recever have the home plug so they can axx the ondemand and dish.sling.com they suport up to 13 POE devices and only requre one wire pluged into the router. Tested and working on 6 722 recevers in one house.

Also direct dosenot requre you to plug the recever into the net/phone they charge you every TV after the first. Net axx is good for direct to pc/On demand kind of like the dish sling stuff...

If you provide the cat-5/cat-6 and RJ-45 connectors, sure I would do it since it doesn't take longer than running phone (which our company is required to do) and I'm paid hourly. That type of wiring is not part of a standard install.

You experience will GREATLY vary with different installers.

So it is up to installer...thats what I thaught. I ll be moving to new location in few months when lease is up.

I was aware of other gimmicks but I have vip box with on demand, xbox 360 as MCE, netflix and xbox live and BluRay with BD Live. They are all hooked up with CAT cable because it is the most reliable, fastest and cheapest option.. But running discreet cable through the attic was pain in neck when I ran it in november. But I dont have guts to go in attic in summer....it gets as hot as 150 up there......how do you (installer) handles attic jobs in summer? second , can u breath up there or u carry oxigen?....curious to know.

Thanks
ccuser

how do you (installer) handles attic jobs in summer? second , can u breath up there or u carry oxigen?....curious to know.

Thanks
ccuser

You don't handle it you don't go up there. Its dangerous not just heat exhaustion but the danger of falling through a ceiling when you get dizzy from the heat.

i use to carry the phoneline. i think we charged like 20 bucks to install a phone line with the dish. most of the time you are installing the dish by power for a ground anyway and the phone line is usually there too. so all i did was run an extra line. nothing 2 it. if i still did install i would probably run ethernet lines, but it would be near the 50 dollar range now.

title says it all...almost. I am just curious to know.

Dish requires phone or ethernet connection for many reasons. Since I dont have phone line, can I ask installer to run ethernet to receiver from router (70 - 100 ft) under (or as a part of) STANDARD INSTALLATION? or
would it be for additional cost? if so, what would be offer appropriate cost of it ?
No. Have the tech show you the terms and conditions on the reverse side of the Dish Network Service Agreement form.
Dish does not "require" any type of connection to the outside world except the means to get a satellite signal from your dish to your receivers.
The phone line is "recommended" by Dish for the reciever to be able to comunicate when prompted by Dish to dish. The phone line connex saves ther customer $4.99 per month because Dish drops the additional outlet fee.
We do not install hardwire phone lines or wireless phone jacks for free.
A 100 ft run? I charge time and materials. Not a flat rate. too easy to get burned by flat rate work. Others may give you a flat rate estimate. You'll have to ask. But the bottom line is , you will have to pay.
Appropriate? That is a matter between you and the person doing the work. You make a request. He will quite a price. If you do not like the price he wants, you make a counter offer. If the tech's price is non negotiable, you have two choices. One is you can pay his price. Or you can decline the offer.
The tech has the same two options. Business.

So it is up to installer...thats what I thaught. I ll be moving to new location in few months when lease is up.

I was aware of other gimmicks but I have vip box with on demand, xbox 360 as MCE, netflix and xbox live and BluRay with BD Live. They are all hooked up with CAT cable because it is the most reliable, fastest and cheapest option.. But running discreet cable through the attic was pain in neck when I ran it in november. But I dont have guts to go in attic in summer....it gets as hot as 150 up there......how do you (installer) handles attic jobs in summer? second , can u breath up there or u carry oxigen?....curious to know.

Thanks
ccuser
If it's too hot for you, what do you think the answer to your question is? In other words, if you would not go up there yourself, what in Sam Hill makes you think it's ok for someone else to go up there when it's 150 degrees in your attic?
Yes I'd go up ..But 5 mins at a time. And only if it is absolutely necessary.
NO we do not carry oxygen. And that is not the problem. The temperature is the issue.
CDC Extreme Heat | Frequently Asked Questions
Heat Exhaustion: Symptoms, Warning Signs, and Treatment Information on MedicineNet.com

Thanks
ccuser

So wait... do you already have an ethernet cable ran to the tv location for one of your other devices? If so, just put a switch in.

And as far as attics go, in the summer... i don't do attics unless it is absolutely necessary, and it is only a few minutes at a time.

So wait... do you already have an ethernet cable ran to the tv location for one of your other devices? If so, just put a switch in.

And as far as attics go, in the summer... i don't do attics unless it is absolutely necessary, and it is only a few minutes at a time.

Yes, all the devices including VIP 722 are networked at my current residence, however in coming month I will be moving and wanted to check with you guys on what options I ll have for Ethernet wiring along with dish setup.

After FIOS guys performed attic installation in HOT Texas summer, I attempted to run ethernet cable thinking how hard can it be....until I tried and gave up after sweaty attempt. Second attempt was in winter when it was close to freezing, still I came out sweaty & slightly short of breath after 30 mintues...

pardon me if attic concern sounded ignorant...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)