does your cable company transmit hd as hd lite?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

korsjs

Welcome To SatelliteGuys
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 25, 2004
Land O Lakes, FL
if you know that your cable campany is broadcasting their hd in hd lite, we would like to know. please post your answers here.

Kinda-sorta. Local Cable Co. sends 3 HD channels per QAM or roughly around 13Mb per HD channels. However, the variable bitrate "Cherry Picker" encoders do a very good job:

OTA: after multiples compaisons with a variety of OTA material, I have found no appreciable differences between OTA and the broadcast networks being shown on cable; they are virtually identical.

Cable HD: I was able to compare ESPN-HD, TNT-HD, HBO-HD and SHO-HD between VOOM DBS, Dish HD, and the local Cable Co. All were comparible, but believe it or not the PQ on local cable was sometimes better...especially when VOOM DBS was showing downrezzed some of these at 1440x1080i.

A big plus for cable is that I can rent three low-cost HD DVRs, with working firewire & and SATA (just plug in a hard drive for expanded storage), and pay no upgrade fees. A big negative is the HD DVRs are pale in comparison to the Dish 942 and their are only a dozen HD channels (5 are locals which I certainly don't need).

How can you tell the resolution being put out by the cable company? I've been told Comcast doesn't downrez, but I have no way to verify that for myself. (I have a SA8300HD box.)

-John

I've been told by the head of network engineering for Time Warner's Western Ohio division that they do NOT modify the signal before passing it on to customers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)