Doing the happy dance!!

sbhnet

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2005
Carrollton, TX
:D

I haven't been this anxious about an install since I signed up for Voom. Verizon has me scheduled for Thursday the 19th for both Internet and TV service. I currently have Comcast for both, and with comparable channel lineups (including on demand) and faster internet service, I'm looking at $36/mo savings! I'm crossing my fingers for the Voom programming to be acquired. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Susan
Carrollton, TX

I called today. They said Plano will be "sometime in March". I will probably switch some Dish doesnt seem willing to let me upgrade more than one HD receiver a year.

Happy dance followup

It was a long day, but everything's installed. The tech called my install a "triple play". - installing voice, video, and data over fiber. I now have a 6416 and two 6400s - two out of three are working. The internet (15M) is working like a champ!

Things to be aware of/general observations:

1. They're using D-Link routers. The tech suggested I keep my Linksys as the wireless was much better than that in the D-Link. So my router is now acting as a 100M switch with a built in access point. When I placed the order I was told we could use my router instead of theirs. Not true.

2. They install a box he kept calling a NIM. It's a non-descript looking black thing - almost like some of the early cable modems. It's function is to interface between the fiber and the TV boxes, allowing the boxes to download the guides and order/receive VOD and PPV. It takes up one of the ethernet ports on the router, so you end up with 3.

3. This whole TV thing is new to them and they're still working out the bugs (to be expected). If the tech had not come back by to get me to sign off on the paperwork, I'd probably still have basic channels only. He had to get his support folks on the phone (who had to huddle a few times), but finally got everything working. I remember something very similar happening when I first got Voom.... a Motorola thing? At any rate, I had been on hold with Verizon customer service for about 25 minutes when he rang the bell. After all that, he still has to come back on Saturday (I've got to go back to work tomorrow) to swap out one of the 6400s that refuses to load and bring me a HDMI cable.

4. Because of the number of folks they're signing up, they're shipping in techs from all over the country to keep up. The guy that did my install is from California. I see this as a very good thing - they're setting appointments within a 7 to 10 day period and showing up when they say they are. Because of the work required, they're quoting 4 to 6 hours. My install took 8 not counting the time he was here after the fact.

I LOVE the guide! The best of several that I've seen. You can search by show name, time, or actor (!). Having been on Comcast since last April, I'm so very glad to get rid of the TV guide junk! Nice and clean.

I asked the tech if he had heard anything about Verizon acquiring the Voom programming - he said he hadn't heard specifics, but that they were supposed to have over 30 HD channels by the end of the year... :clap

sbh

sbhnet,

Thanks for your report as I am considering switching to FIOS tv. How is the picture qualityon SD and HD compare to SD and HD from Comcast? Also, can you get subchannels (weather related) of the local channels such as 4-2, 5-2, and 8-2?

sbhnet said:
1. They're using D-Link routers. The tech suggested I keep my Linksys as the wireless was much better than that in the D-Link. So my router is now acting as a 100M switch with a built in access point. When I placed the order I was told we could use my router instead of theirs. Not true.
Yes, you can use your own router. I still have the unopened D-Link box that the Verizon guy brought out to my house.

sbhnet said:

Yes, you can use your own router independently (that is, not daisy chained with the verizon d-link). There are a few settings you have to change from the default configuration, but it is very doable. On the linksys for example, the main one is to change the nework type to PPPoE. I am not sure of all of the settings right now because I am at work, but if you would like I can post them later.

Last edited:
It's open PPPoE, so put anything in the username and password fields. Using your own equipment is permitted, just don't expect support on it. If you have problems, be prepared to install their equipment back in.

Also note that some routers are just not capable of supporting 15/2 using PPPoE. My WRT54GS using Freeman can't handle much more then about 6mbit.

As to your other comments:
#2 - that is the MoCA bridge. Basically it bridges the Cat5e ethernet with the Coax ethernet. Unplug that and your receivers won't work and won't receive VOD. Newer ONTs are suppose to have that portion built in IIRC.

#4 - It wouldnt' suprise me if they do ship in some people for training purposes.

Last edited:
Hey Susan!

Hope you got all of your problems fixed. Here is a question: did you have a Comcast HD DVR before you signed up for Verizon? If so, how does the Verizon unit compare? Sounds like you think the Guide is much better -- how does it compare with the Comcast HD DVR?

thanks in advance for any replies!

rob

yanks2402 said:
Yes, you can use your own router independently (that is, not daisy chained with the verizon d-link). There are a few settings you have to change from the default configuration, but it is very doable. On the linksys for example, the main one is to change the nework type to PPPoE. I am not sure of all of the settings right now because I am at work, but if you would like I can post them later.
Thats strange! I have mine set to "Ethernet", not PPPoE.

Hoopnoop said:
Hey Susan!

Hope you got all of your problems fixed. Here is a question: did you have a Comcast HD DVR before you signed up for Verizon? If so, how does the Verizon unit compare? Sounds like you think the Guide is much better -- how does it compare with the Comcast HD DVR?

thanks in advance for any replies!

rob

Sorry for the late reply!

Yes, I had the Comcast DVR, and I like this one better. Mostly because of the guide, but this one has a 160Gb drive instead of a 120. It seems to perform the same - maybe a little faster on the channel switch. I'm lovin' it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts