Doing the splits....

kaman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 8, 2006
I wired my new home so that I have two RG-6 lines going to my entertainment center (w/ 622) from my cable/data/phone hub box in the basement. At the hub is a DP-34 switch. The installer used both of my lines to my 622. (He said he had no choice) Now I want to put in an OTA to pick up local HD, but both cables are being used. I want to get the two (apparently required with DP-34) lines for the DISH and one line for the OTA antenna for a total of three signals I need to get to the 622. I also have one DP Separator (came with 622) and two Diplexers. Soooooo, will this setup work?

1)With OTA cable at my hub, connect to the one of the diplexers (in) AND
2)With a short RG6 cable, connect to same diplexer as OTA cable (the other in) AND
3)The other end of short RJ6 cable, connect to the DP-34 switch AND
4)From the single "out" of the diplexer run the long cable to one of the cable jacks behind 622 AND
5)Keep the other cable from 622 directly to the DP-34 switch as is (no change) AND
6)Between cable jack (with combined OTA/Dish signal) and the 622, use another diplexer (or separator?) to split the signal (one OTA, one Dish), and plug in 622 the 2 cables.

I sketched out a schematic to help illustrate. I have 2 questions:
***Will this work?
***If so, do I need a splitter or diplexer in step 6?

Attachments

• The Splits.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 111
Thanks for the warm fuzzy. I got everything lined up, bought the attic antenna this afternoon, made sure it worked, had the builders put a pvc pipe from attic to basement as a conduit (just for this). I have all the parts, all the needed tools lined up in a row. Just need to go up in the attic, screw down a couple of screws, drop the cable down the pipe, line up the antenna...a 30 minute job max, and I'm done. I'm all ready to go to have HD CBS for Super Bowl tomorrow. BUT....

The access to the attic (the wooden plank you have to move) is "trapped" by friggin electrical wires draped over the top, one wire left to right, and one front to back. It is like the ribbon on an present. The door lifts up about an inch, and in any direction about 4 inches. Think about taking a lid off a present with the ribbon criss crossed. You can't get it off unless you cut the ribbon. I will have to call the builder on Monday. This is ridiculous. How could they get this past inspection? UUggghhh!!!

All is not lost, I can run the cable from the basement, up the stairs, over the railing, across the living room and to the antenna sitting on a dining room chair staring quietly at the northern wall. Wife will allow it tomorrow for the Super Bowl. She is so nice.

The only thing I would add is the diplexers will knock down your signal strength a few db...likewise, your attic will have an negative impact on your reception as well. In my case, I'm 55+ miles from Washington DC and 51+ miles from Richmond VA and I use two rooftop antennas that both require a pre-amp. Anyway, just as long as you're not too far from the towers it sounds like you should be good-to-go come kickoff time.

Good luck! Let us know how things turn out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)