Dolby Digital 5.1 with SD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andrew110

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Michigan
I'm about to get a 211k but I don't have the HD package, can I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from standard definition programming?

That's not true, I get DD 5.1 on many primetime network shows delivered by Dish as indicated on my Denon 3808ci.

Edit: I appologize. I did not read (or I read to quickly) the part about SD. I am not sure about DD on SD as I literally never watch it. My comment above was regarding HD network programming.

Last edited:
Highly unlikely. DD takes a fair amount of bandwidth. SD does not. Adding a huge sound stream to a slim SD feed does not make much sense.

Dolby Prologic does not take as much bandwidth and you might see a few programs with Prologic coded soundtracks. But, the only way you would know is if you have an auto sensing AV receiver that detects the signal.

A little off topic, but it is interesting that the NFL and NHL channels, while broadcasting HD video, have only Pro Logic sound.

Some of the SD premium channels are (or at least were) 5.1 and I think some of the PPV also.

No DD 5.1 on sd but ProLogic on many sd programs.

Our local CBS station always shows DD, on my Onkyo receiver, no matter if the program is in DD, stereo or mono and our local NBC mever shows DD. It is always ProLogic II no matter what program is showing.

They both have a problem but they don't seem to think so.

With NBC

No DD 5.1 on sd but ProLogic on many sd programs.

Our local CBS station always shows DD, on my Onkyo receiver, no matter if the program is in DD, stereo or mono and our local NBC mever shows DD. It is always ProLogic II no matter what program is showing.

They both have a problem but they don't seem to think so.

I can tell you what the problem is w/ NBC station. I was until recently an eng at an NBC station. The whole net got new audio encoders and not that long ago had to be reset by hand. I had to do that in an over night session to keep from getting too many complaints. Their system may strip off the encoding w/o ther even knowing it or maybe can't pass it at all. CBS even though I worked at one of their stations a couple of yrs ago and CBS can switch their audio remotely the station may not be able to pass the info thru their system. At the CBS station ops had to switch between net direct & local to pass the DD.

I'm about to get a 211k but I don't have the HD package, can I get Dolby Digital 5.1 from standard definition programming?

If you get your locals from Dish, you will get both the SD and HD versions. This is so even though you do not have an HD package. The HD locals will have DD5.1 for the most part. My SD locals do not have DD5.1.

Also, I believe that the 211K also has an OTA tuner over which you can get your HD locals with DD5.1

If you have Showtime, you will also get the HD versions which sometimes have DD5.1 and sometimes they will not.

At one time Dish had a monthly HD enabling fee if you had an HD receiver, but did not have an HD package. Worth asking Dish about.

If you get your locals from Dish, you will get both the SD and HD versions. This is so even though you do not have an HD package. The HD locals will have DD5.1 for the most part. My SD locals do not have DD5.1.

Also, I believe that the 211K also has an OTA tuner over which you can get your HD locals with DD5.1

If you have Showtime, you will also get the HD versions which sometimes have DD5.1 and sometimes they will not.

At one time Dish had a monthly HD enabling fee if you had an HD receiver, but did not have an HD package. Worth asking Dish about.

Thanks for that helpful post. Didn't know you got HD locals without the HD package. I'll have to put up an eastern arc dish :)

I'm pretty sure they got rid of that fee when eastern arc went up because all of the mpeg4 receivers are HD and you don't have to have HD to be on eastern arc but you have to have an mpeg 4 receiver.

I can tell you what the problem is w/ NBC station. I was until recently an eng at an NBC station. The whole net got new audio encoders and not that long ago had to be reset by hand. I had to do that in an over night session to keep from getting too many complaints. Their system may strip off the encoding w/o ther even knowing it or maybe can't pass it at all. CBS even though I worked at one of their stations a couple of yrs ago and CBS can switch their audio remotely the station may not be able to pass the info thru their system. At the CBS station ops had to switch between net direct & local to pass the DD.

When I had cable, I had two CBS channels and only one of them had a problem. I thought that it was a cable problem.

When I got Dish, I only got one CBS channel and it is the bad one.

When e-mailed their engineer, they replied that they do not have a problem but I know that they do.

When I compared the sound with the same programs on cable, David Letterman for example, one had surround sound and the other did not, even though it showed DD on my receiver display.

Last edited:
I've never heard of SD with 5.1. NTSC doesn't really account for 5.1, now does it? [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multichannel_television_sound"]Multichannel television sound - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame] There are programs on HD channels that are really SD, and they could add 5.1 to that. And receivers are notorious for incorrect reporting of audio signals, IMHO. And I have 2 Onkyos that I am quite happy with. I suppose satcos and cablecos could be adding 5.1 to SD channels, since they have such control over the bandwidth. I just can't imagine why they would do so. Or SD providers going to the trouble of providing the extra audio.

I personally find far too little 5.1 from any networks. My 801 sometimes expands to 5.1 or even 7.1, but it's not the same.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)