Dolby Digital AC-3 format ...Help!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

young-pup

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 1, 2009
TX
Hi guys I have been trying to add a new dish and point it at AMC 21 125.0 W, to pick-up the PBS channels. I had a little trouble but finally got it ...But low and behold got a nice video but no sound :confused:
Now I have tried this with both of this receivers the Sonicview 360 Premier and a Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra ..I get no sound at all guys what can I do. I can't..really afford a new receiver right at this time! I suppose I could quit eating for about a week - grocery = new receiver hum:eek: lol
Any help on this matter would be very appreciated!!
Thank you guys and gals

If the receiver passes AC-3 (I believe the Fortec does, not sure whether or not the Sonicview does), you can connect a Dolby Digital decoder to the coaxial or optical digital output.

Many of us use the inexpensive Cyberhome Sonic Voom headphones and decoder. If you have a modern 5.1 audio amp/receiver with digital inputs for a DVD player, that will work as well.

Hi thanks for the info did some searching and thought this might work also I hope ..maybe I will try a Digital to Analog Audio Converter ($20.00) that way I can use a RCA coaxial and or a toslink in the (S/PDIF) on the receiver...I hope this will work..thank you for your help!

A plain digital to analog converter will not work, as it won't decompress Dolby Digital. Such devices are only for converting uncompressed PCM digital audio to analog.

You will need a device such as the Sonic Voom or an audio receiver capable of decompressing Dolby Digital. The Sonic Voom will accept either optical (TosLink) or coaxial (RCA) digital connections.

Last edited:
Thank you guys for all your advice..learned a lot after reading all the good info here. And I realized that I had a old DVD VHS combo recorder, the dvd on the unit did not work anymore so it was put into storage a few years ago. So found out it had a S/PDIF input with RCA coaxial out ...Yea!!!! it works great man I am glad I keep that recorder.
Thank you everyone:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.