Dolby Digital problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cranesrule

Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I just recieved my new 811 today and I'm having problems with the audio. If I select dd or pcm/dd and then tune to any program broadcast in dd, I recieve a horrible rapid clicking noise throgh my speakers. If I select pcm only, I can recieve regular pro logic surround on all programming but no dd. I am connected via optical cable thru an RCA av reciever.

cranesrule said:
I just recieved my new 811 today and I'm having problems with the audio. If I select dd or pcm/dd and then tune to any program broadcast in dd, I recieve a horrible rapid clicking noise throgh my speakers. If I select pcm only, I can recieve regular pro logic surround on all programming but no dd. I am connected via optical cable thru an RCA av reciever.

Interesting. I had the same thing happen. I thought my preamp would properly identify and down-convert the DD/PCM signal to Pro Logic, but like you discovered only a buzzing/clicking sound. I switched to PCM only and voila. This isn't much of a problem for me as my preamp only does Pro Logic, not DD. I would be interested in hearing what the prob. is though. Some day I may upgrade.

Just to let you guys know... I bought a new receiver today, a Sony
STR-DE595 and it works perfectly with the 811. My RCA receiver apparently was not properly decoding the dd signal from my 811. I would still consider this an 811 problem, though, because the RCA handled all other dd sources very well. I have seen a few other posts around here about RCA receiver problems and none for the Sony. I wish I didn't have to lay out the cash, but at this point at least I'm one of the ones getting perfect audio from the 811. The Sony is a much better receiver anyway. I think it would be safe to say that most if not all of those who are experiencing dd issues like I was are having the problem due to incompatability and would likely see a cure in a new receiver that is known to work. So far, it looks like Sony, Yamaha, and some Onkyo are getting the job done. It's sad that that's the case, but I'm just glad everything works now.

I have the same problem with my Harman Kardon Sig. 2.0 pre-amp :-(

It decodes DD5.1 from my 501 receiver, but not my 811...

matt.

Yea, I installed my optical cable from the 811 to my Yamaha DD/DTS RV-1105 receiver and get no sound at all. I can put the cable close to the receiver's optical input and the sound quits, but when I pull it away the sound returns, really strange!

ingramba said:
Yea, I installed my optical cable from the 811 to my Yamaha DD/DTS RV-1105 receiver and get no sound at all. I can put the cable close to the receiver's optical input and the sound quits, but when I pull it away the sound returns, really strange!

What is probably happening is that your reciever is sensing the optical input and switching to it automatically. At that point, your reciever is either experiencing the same compatibility problems as many others, or you might just need to adjust a few settings to get it to work. I have seen several posts on this site from users who have working Yamaha setups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)