Dolby Vision Full Technical Interview

Interesting.
I know DV is hdmi chip related. I wonder how hard it would be for someone to develop an external device to help support DV to a tv.....as long as the panel could support DV.

Ive seen a lot of hate for 4K and or UHD Blu-ray. It reminds me a lot of Blu-ray vs HDDVD and 2D vs 3D. I get many may not benefit as much from screen size and view distance, but the haters overlook the expanded color gamut and HDR. It's amusing, not...

Agree.
90% of 4K haters or non believers only think of resolution. You still hear "you won't be able to tell a difference from that far away". Not even realizing the other two components of UHD.

Reactions: gadgtfreek
I was glad to see them specifically address DV not being "automated", having director sign off at the end. I see folks even hating on the look of HDR, but we get it the way the director intended which is what I want.

Reactions: tigerfan33
Dec '15 Widescreen Review (sorry, just now reading it), as many of us realize.

"Ultra HD TV Has A Problem"

"The ugly truth about Ultra HD is that the increase in resolution isn't worth it for the vast majority of home theatre enthusiasts"

"There is a steep improvement in Ultra HD Video, however, but it derives from other properties: HDR and WCG".

Reactions: tigerfan33
On another note, Joe Kane in the latest Widescreen Review:

"If you want to be an early adopter of HDR, a good starting point would be a set that can do HDR-10, including P3 color on a 10 bit panel with a light output of at least 750 nits".

I think only the FALD Samsungs and Sony's hit that right now, but my 930C can get pretty bright in the 400-500 nit range. Im more concerned with 10bit, P3 and HDR10, which it will do.

He also alludes that currently the OLED's are doing things to hurt real PQ trying to hit the higher light output.

Joe probably hadn't seen the new OLEDs that LG and Samsung showed at CES when he wrote that, so I'm still waiting to move to 4K OLED for another wave of improvements and more size options which makes sense to me.

I am sure Joe has seen the Samsung as I believe he is still working as a consultant for them.
Were you able to get away from the Dish booth to see the new LG UHD OLEDs? If so, did you feel that they suffered at the high end?

Glad to see the 70+" OLED this year. Hopefully they will be affordable in a couple of years.

All I took away from his article was they made some decisions to gain brightness that could negatively affect how dialed in you could get the display. With something like OLED that has absolute black and a natural image, dont screw up its color or grayscale tracking ability if you can help it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)