DolbyDigital SOund Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

anth75

Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
i have been on the phone about 10 times with directv and still no luck.the problem i'm having is with the dolby digital sound only.it cuts out every once and awile for a second.i have a samsung hd reciever hooked up through my stereo reciever.the odd thing is that this was happening when i had my tivo reciever hooked up.then it was only doing on showtime once and awile.now it continues to happen and also on the hd channels(more than the showtime channels).i went out and bought a new optical wire thinking it was that,still did it.they told me to try coax.went out bought one,still did it.cant be the directv reciever cause it happened with my old tivo reciever.tried running new rg6 cable from the splitter where its grounded,no luck.so now there saying its my stereo reciever,but it cant be. i watched 3 movies yesterday and didnt happen once!its driving me nuts!could it be the dish?there telling me no way,but theres really nothing else it could be.anyone else have this problem?

This is a known issue with DirecTV HD programming. We see this at my home because we record a lot of HD programming. There are extensive threads at TCF on this topic. D* is aware, however, has done little to correct it. I would not look for a fix before Spaceway 1 is up and running ... there should be a plethora of issues corrected then.

slacker9876 said:
This is a known issue with DirecTV HD programming. We see this at my home because we record a lot of HD programming. There are extensive threads at TCF on this topic. D* is aware, however, has done little to correct it. I would not look for a fix before Spaceway 1 is up and running ... there should be a plethora of issues corrected then.
TCF ?
:confused:

It isn't just the HD channels. . .all of the premium movie channels do it as well. I suspect it is deliberate, not just a glitch. D claims they know nothing about it. . .

Dave

dolby digital sound issue

Same here. I had a directv rep/tech here. He could not determine any problem. He said he never heard of this before. I am growing frustrated with this issue- as if somone is pressing mute while you watch tv. Are there any more updated for this Samsung 360? - which i have the issue with

i checked out the premium movie channels today,and they also do it!i talked to dave todya and they told me not to use dolby digital!is this guy for real?i told him i might as well go back to analog cable too.well i took back the samsung today and got the hughs,hopefully this will work better.i have a tech coming out tomorrow but i know he's not gonna find anything wrong

anth75 said:
i checked out the premium movie channels today,and they also do it!i talked to dave todya and they told me not to use dolby digital!is this guy for real?i told him i might as well go back to analog cable too.well i took back the samsung today and got the hughs,hopefully this will work better.i have a tech coming out tomorrow but i know he's not gonna find anything wrong

:( I'm in the same boat. I just upgraded to the samsung from my trusty old SD tivo box and I get the "hiccups" with the audio just like you guys. Is it just the sammy box or what? :confused:

cromag i will let you know tonight when i get home and activate my hughs reiever if its still doing the same.crossing my fingers!

we'll been watching tv now for a couple hours and the sound has been perfect! after all the agravation , it was the samsung after all.

Bad Sammy

:mad: Great!!!! The sammy was what I had to settle for when I returned my Sony HD300 because it died.... Now I may return the sammy too! well at least I know it's probably the box and not my audio system.

take it back and get hughs.so far good pic and the sound works great!!! good luck

I just spent 15 minutes on the phone with customer support and their supervisors. The solution they said was to try the following:
Go to the menu, setup, preferences, audio
Audio output- change it from Dolby digital to PCM

I did this while on the phone and instantly I observed my surround sound speakers shut off. I explained this was not acceptable and the tech asked if I could try this for a short time to determine if the PCM setting alleviated the issue.

In my opinion, they do not have a real solution. I know that after buying a 43” Samsung DLP and a Yamaha receiver with Polk surround speakers I will not accept using a 2.0 setting as indicated by my Yamaha Audio receivers pictorial display when I activated the PCM setting for the tech.

I suggest everyone calls and bombards them to produce an update that could possible correct this flaw.

thats what they told me to do.take it off dolby digital!ya right.i'm willing to bet its your reciever as it was mine

It is **Not** the receiver. I have the same problem with my current Sony, and had it with my previous Harmon-Kardon. This is a satellite problem, not a receiver problem.

Dave

well, in my case it wasn't the samsung receiver after all. I'm not at all sure what exactly fixed the issue, because I switched from optical to coax back to optical cables... switched the settings from PCM to dolby digital and back a few times, re-booted the samsung and re-booted by bose lifestyle (that thing's so temperamental, it was probably the culprit). The problem not only went away, but now my surround sound is much more prevalent.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)