Don Shula dies at age 90

Not a Dolphin fan, but it's sad that his passing elicited a mere 4 responses. Sad, and more proof that NFL fans too often don't care about the history of the sport, like baseball fans.
Shula won with integrity and class and his players revere him to this day. For me, while a child of the 80s, got a good taste of the 1970s, though by the time I knew the sport (Super Bowl 11) the Dolphins had already won SB 7 and 8, but from that moment on, Coach Shula was a mainstay and with his passing, almost every single coach that coached in a Super Bowl during the 1970s is gone. I think only two still are with us, John Madden and Bud Grant. Coach Shulas passing puts the explanation mark on the 1970s, one hell of an interesting decade of football, a decade of insanely great teams. It's amazing given how good Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami were they didn't just scrap the league. In fact, there is ONE SINGLE Super Bowl in the 1970s that did not include one of those 3 teams. Simply remarkable. And Don Shula was part of that greatness for sure.

Reactions: Rey
Not a Dolphin fan, but it's sad that his passing elicited a mere 4 responses. Sad, and more proof that NFL fans too often don't care about the history of the sport, like baseball fans.
Shula won with integrity and class and his players revere him to this day. For me, while a child of the 80s, got a good taste of the 1970s, though by the time I knew the sport (Super Bowl 11) the Dolphins had already won SB 7 and 8, but from that moment on, Coach Shula was a mainstay and with his passing, almost every single coach that coached in a Super Bowl during the 1970s is gone. I think only two still are with us, John Madden and Bud Grant. Coach Shulas passing puts the explanation mark on the 1970s, one hell of an interesting decade of football, a decade of insanely great teams. It's amazing given how good Pittsburgh, Dallas and Miami were they didn't just scrap the league. In fact, there is ONE SINGLE Super Bowl in the 1970s that did not include one of those 3 teams. Simply remarkable. And Don Shula was part of that greatness for sure.
That was before Free Agency made it so players could go anywhere they wanted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)