DON'T JUNK THAT VIZIO if an HDMI goes 'dark'...

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
My "smart TV" had an issue over the weekend...I'll share this so nobody "junks" their set.

I have a 32" E-series Vizio Smart TV. I'm not sure if a very brief power interruption while the set was idle, or....a firmware update that got pushed caused it, but.....

On Saturday morning, when I went to use my "Roku" box, on HDMI-3 input, I could see the icons from the "my channels" of the roku...barely "there" but the TV had no luminance! All the other inputs were fine. I swapped Roku boxes, with no change, (still dark..but definitely "there.).....then I changed HDMI cables....NO change, still dark. I was thinking at this time that the HDMI port had somehow lost the "channel" or "connection" had lost the data for brightness. Restarted the TV a few times, no luck.

Then, with nothing to lose, I went to the set's admin menu, and reset all functions back to factory new. The luminance returned, and while I had to reset my network info and logins for the netflix and amazon, it's working fine.

It's the first set I've ever had to "reset" firmware-on, but...at least it's not missing one of it's inputs.

Heads up! Could happen conceivably to any make, model which is firmware driven that takes updates, or by power blips.

Hope it helps someone.....I know I was happy to NOT have to be short one input and TV shopping again!

I have an E series vizio so thanks for the heads up.

Now, if they could send us all a new reliable remote control that doesn't unpair from the TV every time you get your cell phone too close to it.... :)

My VIzio has had remote issues, too Tony. Where did you hear about it being a cell phone issue? This is the first I have heard about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)