Dont know which satellite i am connected too

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JustDooIt

Original poster
Aug 25, 2015
United states, cali
I have to be connected to some satellite becuase when I did a blind scan I got a couple of scrambled channels on this tp: 12589/H/19999 supposedly on 97W. My quality level continuously changes from 15%, 24%, 36% to 43%. Any tips to maximize my quality? I kept trying to change elevation, lnb skew, and azimuth but it stays at these quality levels or gets worst.

On the dish settings page, i tested my signal on transponder 12152 and got a consistent reading of 43% quality and 76% L (I don't know what L stands for lol). Both bars were red

So my question is, what satellite am i currently connected too and what should i do to connect to 97W?

All FTA transponders on 97W, and all the rest of the CONUS satellites. are between 11700 and 12200. There's 200+ channels total on 97W. What is your L.O. set to? And what dish and LNBF are you using?? (Any plain DVB mpeg 2 receiver will get just about all of 'em with the right LNBF)

My L.O is set to Universal (9750,10600 Ghz).
Unfortunately, i do not know the brand name of my dish but it is 32 inches.
The LBNF i am using is "X2- Full HD KU Single Universal LNB "0.1 DB" (Best Performance with High Gain & Low Noise)"
My receiver is the x2 mini premium

JustDoolt,

I always have a printout of Mike Kohl's list of satellites when I am tuning a dish for FTA. In my opinion his lists are the most useful and are periodically updated. When you do a scan, check the list of transponder downlink frequencies plus the polarization and see if it matches what is on the list. That'll give you an idea of what satellite you might be on. It's sort of like using a TV guide in reverse.
Here is the link: http://www.global-cm.net/US KuBAND.pdf He has another list for Atlantic Ku satellites.

I don't know of any scrambled channels on 97W.

Maximizing your % quality with a dish can be accomplished by adjusting the azimuth, elevation and skew just right. It takes patience. In addition, 97W is in a densely populated area of the Clarke Belt with several satellites spaces 2 degrees apart.So small changes can result in getting different satellites.

I assume you have at least a 30 inch dish. Any obstructions such as trees, bushes, houses can lower your signal, in that case just move the dish to a different area and try again.Or get out the chain saw.... Sometimes moving the dish location a few feet can make a difference. Use RG/6 coax and make sure your connections are tight. Make sure you are using the correct local oscillator frequency on your LNB. Looks like you have a Universal LNB, one in which the LO frequency can be changed to the higher (10600) or lower (9750). Most times it will automatically default to the higher LO (10600), but if you insert a 22 KHz signal (done by selecting from your receiver) it'll switch to the lower oscillator. Look at the LNB to confirm the frequencies of the two LOs.

Have patience and keep trying, it is worth the trouble. Good luck, hope this helps.

Sponge

That's the correct Lo you have set, 9750/10600-Universal, for that LNB. This is a fixed dish right, not motorized?

Watch a transponder that's active on 97W while looking for it. You may have to program it in yourself. Plug in your location into www.dishpointer.com. Will show a green line to aim dish. your elevation and skew will also be on the page.

Here's a few things that may be helpful...
Have you looked at dishpointer.com to verify azimuth and line of sight? (while typing this, FaT Air beat me to it...)
If this is on a motor, perhaps try aiming without the motor. Also you might pre-set the LNBF skew using the numbers from dishpointer.
On 97W, 11966 H 22000 is a good transponder to aim for; I've locked it with a 22" converted pay.

While aiming, do you have a TV and the receiver at the dish? Having these beside you while aiming is very helpful.
On my receiver, without a transponder lock the Intensity will be 45% and Quality is 4-5%. While aiming the dish, adjusting azimuth/elevation- I will watch the Q number. If the receiver is getting close to a transponder lock, the Q will go from 4 - 5% to 7 - 10%. At this point, very fine adjustments east-west or up-down to azimuth/elevation should provide a lock. Once locked, the fine tuning begins.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)