Don't let this happen to you!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I have all my equipment in one of those roll around component racks made for stereo stuff.
I have been having some problems with signal strength fluctuations and I thought it was my LNB, but that was just a guess. I replaced the LNB and did a series of other experiments, all which yielded nothing. I was thinking it might be the 922's power supply going out and so started looking for info and found a series of You Tube videos about hot capacitors and so on.
It was in one of those videos that I found out the DC output to the LNB should be around 20.4 vdc.
I had the TV on so I could monitor the signal loss. I pulled out the rack to get to the back side of the 922 and tried to poke my unbent paper clip into the center of the F connector so I could hook the meter to it. As usual there was a bunch of wires in the way so I reach in and grabbed the wires that go to the polarotor and pulled them to the side. It was then that I heard a little sizzle/squirk noise from the sound system. I got my paperclip inserted and hooked up the VOM. I got 20.4 to 20.5 VDC.
I watched the TV for an hour or so and not one loss of signal and the voltage stayed constant.
Finally I started inspecting the wires and was able to figure out that the polarotor wires must have gotten pushed around by rolling the rack around and either been inserted too far or bent over so something was just barely making contact with something else. I am guessing again, but I think the micro short that was happening was overloading the power supply just enough to cause it to go nuts every once in awhile and shut down for a fraction of a second, giving me a drop in Q, signal break up and a momentary loss of S
I rolled the rack back into it's resting position making sure to hold onto the polarotor wires so they did not get moved. I have been watching now for about 30 hours and not had a problem.

Sometimes we find answers to our problems in the strangest ways. Glad it's working now :)

One of those easily overlooked things.
Glad you found it.

Let us know if your performance continues to be good for the next week! - :up

Glad to hear you found the problem. I had something similar happen on the back of a stereo amplifier once. A strand of speaker wire broke off inside one of those self grabbing speaker connectors, the kind with the spring-loaded push tabs. The strand was shorting to the inside of the chassis and causing the protection circuit to randomly kick off and on. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you found the problem. I had something similar happen on the back of a stereo amplifier once. A strand of speaker wire broke off inside one of those self grabbing speaker connectors, the kind with the spring-loaded push tabs. The strand was shorting to the inside of the chassis and causing the protection circuit to randomly kick off and on. :rolleyes:

That sounds like it might have been what was happening here kinda

I had a similar problem, I was hopeing this would fix it, but it did get me checking, I think my problem was a bad splitter for my DVB box, and c band side, I took the splitter for the Ku band side out since it was recomended here that I get rid of the Ku side on my 4Dtv, good advice there too, any way I switched out the C side splitter and I think it fixed my problem, I will know tonight.
Terry

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)