Don't want TIVO, but do want an occassional recording

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mercury

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2004
Hi everyone and here's the question. Is it feasible to buy a DVD recorder and hook it up to my H10 Directv receiver to record broadcasts, specifically NFL games?

I don't have land-line phones in my house as we all use cell phones. So I can't hook up Tivo to a phone jack like they want. I also really don't want to add another $5.99 to my already expensive DirecTv bill. But I do want to occassionally record a football game while I'm watching my daughter play soccer. I don't expect to record in HD quality, simple SD is what I expect. Anybody know if this will work or pitfalls?

Thanks!
Mits 55
H10 HD receiver
Marantz 5500 receiver
Polks everywhere
Toshiba DVD player

Yes, absolutely. We used to use a DVD butner to record but got a closeout Toshiba RD-XS32 DVR/DVD burner that has no monthly fees or phone requirement. Also used Panasonic DMR series DVR/DVD-r but the Toshiba has superior PQ.

I use the Panasonic DMR-E80H. This unit has a 80 gig hard drive and DVD RW. You can record to the hard drive directly from you HD Box using the composite video outs. Works basically the same as Tivo without the monthly charges with the additional feature of being able to burn a permenant DVD if you choose.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts