rang1995

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 30, 2003
Bergen co NJ
TV'S VOOM SOUNDS MORE LIKE SPUTTER

By HOLLY M. SANDERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

August 8, 2004 -- It's been nine months since Chuck Dolan and his company, Cablevision Systems, gambled big on high-definition television. Tomorrow, investors will get a glimpse at how that bet is paying off.
Early indications say they won't be happy.

Since launching its Voom HDTV satellite service in October, Cablevision has struggled to satisfy critics of the startup. Voom signed a disappointing 8,000 subscribers as of April and lost $54.8 million on sales of $1 million in the first quarter.

Analysts don't expect this quarter's results, which will be announced tomorrow, to mark a turning point.

The bright spot for investors is Cablevision's plan to spin off the project. The question for Dolan is whether Voom can survive on its own.

"The biggest risk by far is the financial commitment," said Sean Badding, a cable and satellite analyst for the Carmel Group. "It's a nascent market. It's trying to run up the learning curve and get consumers to understand what HDTV can do for them."

Dolan has said in the past that Voom needs about $2 billion of investment and 1.5 million subscribers to break even.

After a track record of successes that includes starting premium pay-channel HBO, Dolan is forging ahead with Voom.

Cablevision signaled last week that the spin-off is imminent by announcing the sale of $800 million in bonds to finance the venture. The company guaranteed that, beyond that financing, the venture will not eat up more than $150 million a year and $600 million altogether.

Analysts were pleased that Cablevision won't kick in more financing for the venture, which includes the AMC, WE: Women's Entertainment and IFC cable channels.

Cablevision had spent about $600 million to launch Voom.

"Investors had grown increasingly skeptical that [Cablevision] would find the necessary financing and that CVC would be forced to put more cash" into Voom, Richard Greenfield, an analyst at Fulcrum Global Partners, said in a research note.

Voom has had some startup problems. In May, Cablevision revealed that one in five customers who tried the service had dropped it.

Subscribers may have another reason to cancel later this year when Voom will replace installed dishes with ones that are nearly twice as wide.

The bigger issue is whether Dolan can compete against satellite firms DirecTV and EchoStar, which have more than 22 million subscribers. The largest provider, DirecTV, added 455,000 U.S. subscribers lastquarter, bringing its total to 13 million. News Corp., a controlling shareholder in DirecTV, also owns The Post.

But some point out that Dolan, who has helped shape the modern cable industry, deserves the benefit of the doubt.

"Chuck is a visionary," Carmel's Badding said, "and, considering what he's done with Cablevision, you have to give him some credit."

anybody want to do a poll what the sub #'s will be and should be(to survive) i think they need 40-55,000 at a min.

rupert owns d* and the post. they'll give michael moore a positive review before they say anything good about voom LOL.

anyway, whatever the # is, it's still to low. how long did it take d* or e* to reach 1.5M? anyone knows?

rang1995 said:

By HOLLY M. SANDERS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Subscribers may have another reason to cancel later this year when Voom will replace installed dishes with ones that are nearly twice as wide."

Is that really a big deal. IMO, One wider dish is better than two (Dishnetwork).

r.jones1116 said:
Is that really a big deal. IMO, One wider dish is better than two (Dishnetwork).

It depends on each individual situation. In my case, I do not care but there are people that may not like a bigger dish for various reasons. So it could create an impact on the current subscriber base. However, it is good that they are doing now and not later. The financial cost to do it now will be low compare to the financial cost of upgrading later if they ever have a sub based greater than 1M.

Sean Mota said:
It depends on each individual situation. In my case, I do not care but there are people that may not like a bigger dish for various reasons. So it could create an impact on the current subscriber base. However, it is good that they are doing now and not later. The financial cost to do it now will be low compare to the financial cost of upgrading later if they ever have a sub based greater than 1M.

I hope it turns every head in my neighborhood to let people know that I have HDTV, inquire about and hopefully join in on the HD bandwagon.

Sean Mota said:
It depends on each individual situation. In my case, I do not care but there are people that may not like a bigger dish for various reasons. ...QUOTE]

You are probably right Sean but what is the percentage of Voom'ers who are fine with their current dish but will not accept a dish somewhat wider even if the bigger dish would provide them with twice as many HD channels? Probably not that significant.

Exchanging the dish earlier than later would be, obviously, a wise decision.

r.jones1116 said:
rang1995 said:

By HOLLY M. SANDERS

"Subscribers may have another reason to cancel later this year when Voom will replace installed dishes with ones that are nearly twice as wide."

Dish only uses one wider dish(Dish 500) now for high Def. channels,all on 110.

Problems with VOOM on west coast

I ordered VOOM in June, but my problem was that the satellite is so low on the eastern horizon, I could not get a clear shot. :( DirecTV is no problem. If VOOM wants to add more subscribers, they need a satellite that the west coast can see.

I think that VOOM is missing out on a lot of subscribers on the west coast. :yes

bruce said:
Dish only uses one wider dish(Dish 500) now for high Def. channels,all on 110.

Then they might want to update their website.

"To take advantage of HDTV programming, customers must have a DISH Network HD receiver and a dish antenna pointing at an appropriate orbital location."

I had Dish and inquired about their HD and was told I would need a second dish pointing at 61.5 to get their whopping 5 channel line up.

P.S. I had the Dish 500.

From Dishnetwork's website.

The Model 6000U delivers standard and high definition (HDTV) satellite programming.

FEATURES:

Outputs 720p or 1080i HDTV resolutions.
High Definition (HD) and Standard Definition (SD) content can be viewed from the HD video outputs
Dolby® Digital Output
Caller ID
Standard features include parental control locks, program information, themes lists, favorite lists, program browse, automatic and manual event timers, one-touch channel return, closed caption support and alternate audio support.

Download Product Brochure >

Available exclusively at participating retailers.

STANDALONE - $499.00
SYSTEM MSRP - $699.00
(includes 2 DISH 500 antennas)

That sounds like you need 2 dishes to enjoy their overwhelming HD lineup!

r.jones1116 said:
Then they might want to update their website.

"To take advantage of HDTV programming, customers must have a DISH Network HD receiver and a dish antenna pointing at an appropriate orbital location."

I had Dish and inquired about their HD and was told I would need a second dish pointing at 61.5 to get their whopping 5 channel line up.

P.S. I had the Dish 500.

They moved the HD channels late last year(their CSR people are as good as D* and V* :rolleyes: )and the Website is not much better(I have E* and I am amazed they finally got the 811 working just right).

rang1995 said:
anybody want to do a poll what the sub #'s will be and should be(to survive) i think they need 40-55,000 at a min.
Don't need to. It is easy math.
55,800,000 operating cost x 4 quarters /$69 average x 12 months = 269,565 subscribers needed
Assuming that 99% of people rent one stb, and 50% have VaVaVoom instead of the basic package. The numbers are better than that, but that is a good guess to work from. Now that Voom raised their prices, and dropped the blood loss on installs, the number of needed subscribers should drop a little.
Now, if you believe the numbers the NFL were given, Voom had 35,000 at the end of July when this was published. http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/7535640
8,000 to 35,000 is significant growth, but that will slow because of pricing specials that disappeared. As long as they add 20,000 per quarter, they should be fine. Dolan is asking for enough money that they could bleed at April's rates for 3 years. As you slow the cash bleeding, you extend the time you can live in the red. At a subscriber increase of 20,000 per quarter, they should stop bleeding cash about Jan 2007 spending about 220 million. Then, they work on paying off their debts over the next 5 years. Running at 10,000 / quarter would be cutting it close to bottoming out 600 million they are asking to use as a well.

PS. Does anybody know when we get to see some new official numbers and stop quoting April's report?

rang1995 said:
are you joking? to survive?, we need 1.5 million subs just to break even :rolleyes:
Id bet we have 30 thousand maybe 40.

Impatient said:
Don't need to. It is easy math.
55,800,000 operating cost x 4 quarters /$69 average x 12 months = 269,565 subscribers needed
eh, ...

They do have to pay the content providers for each sub. They definately need more than a million subs.

The rain fade problem is my biggest complaint. Anything more than a drizzle and I'm hosed. So if a bigger dish will help them I'm all for it! It better come soon (by the end of this year)..Else when my rate goes up in January I might be saying "Hello D*..."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)