Down firing sub on hardwood floor...

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Has anyone ever used a down firing sub on a hardwood floor? From what little bit I've heard so far it's about 50/50. Some think it will make no difference and others say that it will and I need to lay it on a small rug or rubber mat (which I really do not want to do). What do you guys think?

Some say it can cause your floors to "sing" along with the sub, due to the resonations. This is not necessarily a bad thing. My hardwood floors are carpeted, and I'm using a stone slab under them (I Have two subs, both downward firing), and I can feel the floors still "singing " along. You have nothing to lose by trying a rug or a piece of carpet sample under your sub, and let your ears decide. Not sure what that will do for your sound, but if there is a difference and you like it, go with it. There is another thread here about subs, where we were talking about a similar subject. I'm sure somebody will post the link.

Nice find. I guess that what I'm accomplishing with my stone bases, but probably not as well as these would do.

We did discuss these in the other thread. My problem with them was that they were charging $80 for an indoor/outdoor carpet square on top of some polypropolene packing material. When I looked at the details, I decided I could duplicate this, and probably make it look better for about $10.

We did discuss these in the other thread. My problem with them was that they were charging $80 for an indoor/outdoor carpet square on top of some polypropolene packing material. When I looked at the details, I decided I could duplicate this, and probably make it look better for about $10.

DIY can save a ton of money sometimes!

I did the MDF painted flat black for CHEAPO. From my recent researching, you should use this type of mat/support regardless of carpet or hardwood floor. Just like with carpet, their are cons to a sub firing down into wood flooring.

IMG_0047.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)