downgrade/ sidegrade through dish.com

smitty23

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2010
california
i recently performed a downgrade from at 250 w/ hbo to at 200. once the new seasons of " true blood", "hung", and "entourage" were over i downgraded. one of the things that i've always found cool about dish was the ability to add and or remove programming online. but what puzzles me is you can only perform a downgrade once every 12x. if you wanted to make any alterations to your service you would either have to call it in or go through online chat. imo i think that is a little stupid what is that point of having this neat feature if you can only utilize it once? just thought i would get on here and post a thread about this ridiculous policy that our good friends at dish has forced upon us.

Last edited:
I think it's only the downgrade that costs $5 if you do it more than once/yr. Are you saying you can no longer upgrade?

i haven't tried upgrading my service... i was able to downgrade from at 250 to at 200. then a few weeks later once the seasons ended over on hbo i tried to remove it, and it gave me that error message.

Well... The deal with the downgrade fee is to discourage people from upgrading to get a single program or watch a big sporting event, and then downgrading again when it's over. Probably the computers could handle this, but Dish thinks they would make less money that way. You can still downgrade; it just costs you a few.

Yes that is what they do, you can only downgrade service once in a 12 month period. I think they do that so they have the option of talking you out of downgrading.

Well... The deal with the downgrade fee is to discourage people from upgrading to get a single program or watch a big sporting event, and then downgrading again when it's over. Probably the computers could handle this, but Dish thinks they would make less money that way. You can still downgrade; it just costs you a few.

You can upgrade and downgrade all you want. However, the OP is correct you can only perform a downgrade on line Once in 12 months. Any other downgrades have to be done either on the phone or through chat. ALL downgrades cost $5.00 (online or otherwise). I believe "Adult" channels cost more
I think the fee is there to discourage folks from upgrading just to receive a special show or event then downgrading. Personally I think that you shouldn't be charged a fee if you have been subscribed to a package or premium channel for 1 year or more and you then choose to downgrade

Ross

appreciate the input.. i guess it's just one of those things that's set in stone. oh well it is what it is.... thanks dish :up

this one downgrade/12 months is gar-bage. with directv I was able to up/downgrade all I wanted ONLINE for free. they only charged you if you called to have a human do it for you. which makes sense, so that probably is why dish doesn't do this....

I did the same thing and think it's totally stupid that you can't do as many downgrades as you like through the website.

It's $5 no matter what, why make me call a human or chat.

i recently performed a downgrade from at 250 w/ hbo to at 200. once the new seasons of " true blood", "hung", and "entourage" were over i downgraded. one of the things that i've always found cool about dish was the ability to add and or remove programming online. but what puzzles me is you can only perform a downgrade once every 12x. if you wanted to make any alterations to your service you would either have to call it in or go through online chat. imo i think that is a little stupid what is that point of having this neat feature if you can only utilize it once? just thought i would get on here and post a thread about this ridiculous policy that our good friends at dish has forced upon us.

Keep playing the game. They have some REAL special news coming to you soon.