I wish Dish DVR has two HDMI output

chong67

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
Jonesboro
I now got a projector.

I wish Dish DVR has two HDMI output, one to my HDTV and the other to my Projector.

Does Dish make such thing?

If not, get a HDMI switch? Does it work and what recommendation you got?

I use this one and it works great even with a 35' run for one of the outputs.

This company has great prices, good service and reasonable shipping.

I don't recommend a splitter that's not powered. Some may work, but in general they are hit and miss.

Last edited:
Is switcher and splitter the same thing?

Just dont turn on the other projector or hdtv?

No signal lost doing splitter?

One HDMI cable is 6 ft. The other HDMI cable is 15ft.

If you are splitting, I agree on going with the powered one.

I run an HDMI 80 feet over 2 Cat6 cables without any problems.

If you are doing a long run, you can get a splitter and buy an HDMI cable for the longer run that has a built in equalizer. HDMI is actually great for long runs, since it gets everything in one cable. The only difference in my two TV's is that the long run takes about 1 extra second to lock to the signal.

No, I am not doing splitting.

Only one source will be used at ONE time.

Is it OK to get a passive HDMI y adapter and it will work?

Is switcher and splitter the same thing?

Just dont turn on the other projector or hdtv?

No signal lost doing splitter?

One HDMI cable is 6 ft. The other HDMI cable is 15ft.

A switch allows for multiple inputs, but only one output - you "switch" between inputs. A splitter sends out the same signal to 2 or more devices which can be used simultaneously.

You shouldn't have any problem with that short of runs and no signal loss.

I see. I was getting it all confused.

So a passive (no AC adapter to it) Y HDMI output for one HDMI input is OK right? Only one output will be ON at ONE time.

I see. I was getting it all confused.

So a passive (no AC adapter to it) Y HDMI output for one HDMI input is OK right? Only one output will be ON at ONE time.

You can try it, if it works, fine. We warn you to use powered for a reason. Many of us have tried the passive and it didn't work. As I said, it's hit or miss. The powered ones have been proven to work well in all situations and to be very reliable. The only reason to use a passive one is to save a little bit of money. If it doesn't work you've ended up spending more. Your gamble.

I use a powered 4x2 hdmi switch that I got from monoprice. Pretty cheap and it allows me to split/share 4 devices between my living room and master bedroom

I use a powered 4x2 hdmi switch that I got from monoprice. Pretty cheap and it allows me to split/share 4 devices between my living room and master bedroom

I would've suggested the same. Some of the pricier receivers and pre-pros have two video outputs, too.

I used to use a switcher, to avoid HDCP problems. I now feed an Onkyo 805 but I believe it only has one output.

Or an alternative is to run one on component and one on HDMI. This is what I do. I have the plasma on HDMI, run component to a receiver then HDMI to a projector. I would have reversed this if I was installing today, but the components were ran years ago before HDMI (75' run).

Oh yes! How come I forgot about this!

All Dish HD got a component output right?

Component = HDMI quality?

Is your avatar for real? Thats funny.

I added an HDMI splitter some time ago since I run component to an upstairs TV and HDMI to a projector and 32" set in the theater. It works good for video, but does not pass 5.1 audio. All I was getting was 2 channel sound after I inserted the splitter.

The fix was to run HDMI directly from my Dish receiver to the HDMI input on my Denon A/V receiver, then connect the splitter to the HDMI output of my A/V receiver. I need to keep the receiver on to watch either the projector or the 32" set, but otherwise this was a painless fix.

I added an HDMI splitter some time ago since I run component to an upstairs TV and HDMI to a projector and 32" set in the theater. It works good for video, but does not pass 5.1 audio. All I was getting was 2 channel sound after I inserted the splitter.

The fix was to run HDMI directly from my Dish receiver to the HDMI input on my Denon A/V receiver, then connect the splitter to the HDMI output of my A/V receiver. I need to keep the receiver on to watch either the projector or the 32" set, but otherwise this was a painless fix.

It must be a problem with your particular splitter. I'm getting dolby 5.1 on both of my HDMI outputs from my splitter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)