Downgraded

I don't want to pay more than $100 per month for TV! With two Hoppers and a Joey, months ago I decided to drop from 200 down to 120. I realized that the only channel I would really miss would be BBC America. After prices go up again, I'll get another EHD or two and go with one hopper and maybe two Joeys, which will cut the monthly price a little bit at least.
Charisse, I am also thinking about dropping to AT120 from 250. The BBCA thing is an issue for me too, but another forum informed me of Acorn TV, a British television streaming service that is $5 a month. I can watch it through my ROKU, so I am going to check it out to see if it shows the newer shows too. Now, I just need to find a source for SyFy.

No SyFy on Sling if that is what you were asking. Looks like Acorn TV has all the mainly older British shows for now too. I think I can see most of the SyFy stuff on Hulu though.

I'm loving my decision so far. Overall I'm only saving $1 a month but I love the offerings I'm getting with Netfilx. It's especially great with the Netflix app on the Hopper. I've been watching Orange is the New Black as much as possible.

Thanks, Wicked Girl! I'll check into Acorn TV. :D Siffy, as I call SyFy, is in the 120 package, unless you are considering going to only streaming, then you have to keep fairly current, but stream from Siffy itself for free.

I have downgraded, and dropped two Joeys, and I am still paying more than I was a year ago prior to my downgrade.

I am crunching some numbers and I may actually end up (yikes) going to bundled cable with cablecards and owned Tivo equipment. If I see a savings then I will be calling Dish this weekend to cancel :(

Last edited:
I switched to cable with an owned Tivo Roamio. Love the Tivo, but Mediacom's PQ/AQ in my neighborhood just kept deteriorating to the point I cancelled and came back to Dish.

I switched to cable with an owned Tivo Roamio. Love the Tivo, but Mediacom's PQ/AQ in my neighborhood just kept deteriorating to the point I cancelled and came back to Dish.
That was what caused me to abandon cable 15 years ago. But, they have definitely improved here in those areas since then.

In my area, Comcast has a PQ very similar to what I had with Dish, but I really enjoyed Dish's service. But since I also have Tivo's, it would be very hard for me to go back and lose control of my recordings. I just love the fact that I can keep my recordings no matter what provider I might switch to (even OTA). And I also love being able to transfer non-premium channel recordings to my pc.

When I first signed up with Mediacom, the PQ was very similar too. But in my neighborhood they have some problems that started cropping up and they are not being very aggressive about fixing them. So I walked away.
I still use the Tivo as my Media Center for streaming services. Love the way I can do searches on it and have it pick up the streaming shows as well as the cable channels listings when I had cable. I'm finding it very handy as a streaming only media controller and I can watch the recordings I made before I cut the cable.
And while I love the Tivo, for satellite I love the Hoppers GUI much better. Too bad there is no good way to integrate the two.

Well I thought I was going to cable, but Dish just gave 6 months of discounts so I will reevaluate at a later time.

Mojo, is Weather Nation actually included in Welcome Pack or is it just an extended free preview? We are still getting the HD feed of Weather Nation, which is unusual for Welcome Pack channels. The only other national Welcome Pack channel that includes the HD feed (besides Dish Studio and free preview channels) is AXS, which is not included on your list or the list on the Dish website. However, we have been getting AXS for the past three years, so I assume it is actually included in Welcome Pack.
Never mind about Weather Nation. I checked the Welcome Pack list linked above, and Weather Nation is listed, but the logo is The Weather Channel instead of the Weather Nation logo.
Update: I lost Weather Nation today. I double-checked the link provided by Mojo Jojo in post number 8, and Weather Nation is no longer listed there either.

Update: I lost Weather Nation today. I double-checked the link provided by Mojo Jojo in post number 8, and Weather Nation is no longer listed there either.

The Dish CSR claims it was a free preview....Quite a long free preview....and quite annoying to be answered that...

The Welcome Pack site had WeatherNation listed as a channel in the package. I am also pretty sure it was at one time listed on the WeatherNation Dish channel page as being part of the Welcome Pack.

The Dish CSR claims it was a free preview....Quite a long free preview....and quite annoying to be answered that...
Yes, this seems like the AMC crap all over again.
Removed from freeview on Wednesday

215 - WN [MPEG4 SD] Echostar16 61.5W TP 12 Conus changed to Subscription from Free Preview (WN)(A)
215 - WN [MPEG2 SD] EchoStar14 119W TP 15 ConUS changed to Subscription from Free Preview (WN)(A)
When was that posted? I checked the uplink reports on Thursday, and it wasn't there.
The Welcome Pack site had WeatherNation listed as a channel in the package. I am also pretty sure it was at one time listed on the WeatherNation Dish channel page as being part of the Welcome Pack.
That is what I have been trying to tell Dish, but they won't listen. They seem to have sneakily changed the Welcome Pack page and Weather Nation page on the website before taking it away from us. :mad

http://about.dish.com/press-release...aunches-dish-delivering-247-weather-reporting

Looking at the press release from April, it says Weather Nation was going to be available for a free preview for 6 weeks then be in Top 120. That would have been a free preview till around the first week of June. Looks like the free preview was 2 1/2 months too long! But I do recall seeing Weather Nation being listed as a Welcome Pack and Smart Pack Channel on the Dish website - it was basically listed in all the packages like Weather Channel is.

Reactions: fhsucade07
I do recall seeing Weather Nation being listed as a Welcome Pack and Smart Pack Channel on the Dish website - it was basically listed in all the packages like Weather Channel is.
That is exactly what Mojo Jojo and I both said, but good luck convincing Dish that Weather Nation was ever listed that way. This type of situation is exactly why we need the Wayback Machine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts