Downsizing

brgmgb

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2010
Indiana
This weekend we downsized to the Dish 120 package.

When we signed up 5 years ago, we wanted the larger package because stations we wanted to watch were not in the lower package. We were looking through the list of stations and realized everything we watch on a regular basis is now in this lower package. Yes, we did lose some stations that we watch sometimes, but for the most part, we won't be affected by the change - except to save $15 a month ($180 a year).

Too bad I can't just pay for the few stations I actually watch.

the question is: "would you pay the same amount?"

if a package costs $45 and includes tons of Shopping and other stuff you will NEVER watch and 'al a carte' was still $45 but only had the channels you want, would you still want 'al a carte'?

No. 'A la carte stations are $3 per month. We watch about 18 stations on a regular basis.

There were a ton of sports on OTA tv this weekend. With NetFlix, you can watch movies and tv shows that have been released on DVD. I told my wife that if I could get a few cable channels (we're talking 3 or 4), I'd cancel Dish.

The problem is that my kids think they need to be able to talk about what was on the latest Disney show last night, and most of the time, there's not much worth watching on OTA tv.

I didn't state it well, but the point of my original post was that Dish has moved stations between the packages so now we don't need the middle package to get our "must have" stations.

the question is: "would you pay the same amount?"

if a package costs $45 and includes tons of Shopping and other stuff you will NEVER watch and 'al a carte' was still $45 but only had the channels you want, would you still want 'al a carte'?
I'd do it in a heart beat. In fact, I'd pay a little more for 'al a carte' just to send Dish and the programming providers a clear message about which channels are worth $ to me and which ones aren't.

Talon Dancer

dish currently charge @ 65 for 250 channels, thats an average of .26 per channel
id go up to 1.00 per channel to have only the ones i wanted. theres too much wasted bandwidth. the could do away with the junk and add channels people really wanted.
if i watch 20 channels id be amazed

found this interesting article

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20100308/hate-paying-for-cable-heres-the-reason-why/

inclused wholesale channel pricing

Last edited:
This weekend we downsized to the Dish 120 package. ....Yes, we did lose some stations that we watch sometimes, but for the most part, we won't be affected by the change - except to save $15 a month ($180 a year).....
I bet a lot of Dish subs could drop down a tier (or two) if they took a hard look at the channels they really watch, like you did.

FWIW I find looking a monthly costs/savings to be misleading. And Dish, et al know it. That's why they always advertise monthly costs minus fees, taxes etc. So I do like you did and think in terms of yearly cost/savings. $15/mo sounds like a meal at a fast food joint. But $180/yr sounds like 2-3 dinners with the wife at a really nice restaurant :)

Talon Dancer

theres too much wasted bandwidth. the could do away with the junk and add channels people really wanted.
if i watch 20 channels id be amazed

What happens would be,
They take the 20 channels you watch then add the 20 channels the next person wants and then the 20 channels the next person wants, etc.
GUESS WHAT, YOU END UP WITH ALL THE CHANNELS ANYWAY! So you didn't save any bandwidth did you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts