DP-34 question

Thanks Simon

You are RIGHT!. Rechecked the S-Video and saw that one of the pins is bent..For now I straightened it using a screwdriver and reconnected it and the B/W is gone. Thanks for the advice Simon!!

For the benefit of others hooking up a new DISH DVR 522 unit to DPP 44 switch...

mm1 said:
I added a DPP 44 switch when I bought my 522 receiver and it updated with no problem. After I performed a Check Switch, the receiver downloaded the current software and I was good to go.

Found out that L061 software version that came with my 522 unit (got one off eBay) do not support DPP 44 switch. I should have read the following document which states the 522 needs at least L162 version to support DPP 44 switch,

Receivers That Support The DP+ 44 Switch -
http://www.satelliteone.com/dish/support/dpplus/TIB-Receivers_That_Support_DP_Plus_44_Switch.pdf

but instead jumped the gun and replace DP 34 with DPP44 and sure enough my 522 failed the Check Switch test where it didn't see any of the 3 Satellite feeds off my Super DISH, 119, 110 and 121.

So went up the ladder, swapped DPP 44 with my original switch, DP 34, connect up all 3 satellite feeds, 119, 110 and 121 from Super DISH *and* run extra receiver cable from DP 34 to Satellite 2 input of 522. The Check Switch showed correctly the receiver connection to DP 34. Good. Called in to DISH to have my box activated. After program download, the software version update kicked in and when done my software version reads L235. Cool!!!

Went back up the ladder, replaced DP 34 with DPP 44 and sure enough the Check Switch now sees all 3 satellites on both satellite 1 and 2 inputs. Nice!

Dropped the extra receiver input cable that i ran temporarily between DP 34 and 522 (just to get 522 started with guide and code load) since i'll be splitting one cable to 2 using DPP Separator inside. With power inserter and DPP separator in place, the picture quality looks jus as good as my previous 508+DP 34 combination. I don't have HD yet, and i can't complain the 522 install with DPP 44 and separator. I'm pretty happy with the whole setup. At least until i move on to HD sometime later in the year.

Hope this further helps someone migrating to dual tuner receiver/DVR using DPP 44 and Separator.

it wasnt really necessary to run the 2nd line to your 522 to get your software upload. you could of used the dpp 44 and a dc passing splitter to feed both ports and the download would of came, then replace the splitter with a seperator assuming you had the dpp44 hooked up and run a check switch with your new software. most of the rcvrs come ready to work with the dpp equipment but every now and then you'll need to do this trick. saves a bunch of time not having to run another cable. or you could of used a long ass jumper from another room to get the download. i find that most 721 receivers need this done.
either way glad that you got it done.

ctcohen04 said:
I have a new DP34 switch in a new install that is not really finished.
(811 - died) (322 died) 522 -works well, 311 (on separate DP 500) works well.

Quad DP lnb - works fine into the 522 if connected directly. However, when I try to go thru the DP34 it will not pass a switch check.

I wonder if the DP34 is bad or if there is possibly some other explanation. I can't recall reading about switch failures. This actually the second DP34 - the installer felt that the first one died.

Any ideas?

you need to use port 1 and port 2 from the 119 side of the lnb to connect to your dp sw34. this will give you the ability to use up to 6 tuners. you can add up to 2 more dp sw34s for a total of 14 tuners! just make sure any dual tuners you use come from the same source (eg. dp quad ports or sw 34 ports)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)