DP 942 L282 Bug Thread

Ok, after watching the 942 for three days post L2.8.2, is it me or the does the HD PQ now look softer and perhaps even somewhat grainy...E*, OTA, and even recorded material? I have a spare lamp for the Sony GWIV that's connected to the 942, but I though I would ask before replacing it.

Can't seem to DVR two items at a time?

I was trying to DVR Desperate Housewives tonight on my OTA and then Grey's Anatomy but on my OTA if I have it DVR both DH and Grey's they both show up at "1" on my guide and it won't let me change the channel. In other words, it seems that the second tuner isn't working properly as I have done this before. I just don't understand it. Anyone else having probs? I am unsure if this is a "bug" per se or not but I never had this problem until tonight.

UPDATE: I just noticed that when I go to the channel that I am DVRing it doesn't show up at the top that its actually recording. When I try to hit "stop" it doesn't even respond. But when I go under the DVR menu it is showing that it is actually DVRing. I guess my DVR is totally screwed up. It isn't taping anything right now!! AHHHHH!!!. I came to Dish from Time Warner to get away from these problems, not invite new ones in!!!!

New Problem with 282

If I pick the channel on PIP that I want by browsing, then when I use the EPG and select a channel to watch, the new channel plus the PIP window show up.

scott78945 said:
I just noticed that when I go to the channel that I am DVRing it doesn't show up at the top that its actually recording. When I try to hit "stop" it doesn't even respond. But when I go under the DVR menu it is showing that it is actually DVRing. I guess my DVR is totally screwed up. It isn't taping anything right now!! AHHHHH!!!. I came to Dish from Time Warner to get away from these problems, not invite new ones in!!!!

Yes ! I have noticed this problem when trying to recall an earlier portion of a show that is currently being recorder. They have gone and made some changes in the code that has basically made the DVR useless!! Also there seems to be problems when scanning new OTA digital channels, 1 scan showed only 1 channel found, next scan found 8. And I am paying a monthly lease for this entertainment!!!! :shocked

voripteth said:
I previously reported a problem when there were audio gaps. There would be 7 seconds of audio and then 2 seconds of silence, 7 seconds audio, 2 seconds silence. This is still a problem in 282!

Actually the problem is worse in 282. When I rebooted the receiver with 281 the audio gaps would go away for a bit. Now with 282 the gaps are there immediately. This happens with both live and recorded shows.

I tried a variety of different channels and recordings to better understand what was happening. When I would hear a gap I'd rewind the DVR and play the second again. The gap didn't appear in the same place so I know it wasn't part of the original signal.

After a half hour of testing the gaps seemed to go away. I don't know what special thing I did but the last thing I watched before the gaps went away was to tune to a live HDNet show.

This audio gap bug is a deal breaker for me. If it took Dish 2 months to fix the last version how long will it take to fix this one? I really regret giving Dish a try and this is with less of two weeks of service!

Sounds to me, you need to call Dish and have them send out a new/different 942. Mine is ok after the download. I have a little audio lag problem that isn't really to bad. I can live with it. Nothing that you described.
Good luck!
Lyle :yes

I've already noted both here and to Dish Network that my picture is significantly more pixelated with L282 than L281, but now I see that I have even worse HD PQ. Last night I watched HBOHD recordings of "Meet The Fockers" and "Rome", and both of them experienced momentary freezes in picture and audio--like when a DVD player switches layers, about a full second in time. Other times there would be an audio dropout of about the length of a word or two. Just as nerve-wracking was the temporary "stuttering" of the picture during motion scenes, where the video looked more like an old streaming video on a computer. On Saturday afternoon I was assured that an Engineering person from Dish would call me within 48 hours. I've had about a bellyful of Dish. As much as I hate Comcast, I'm going to go next door tonight and watch my neighbor's digital cable and HD and ask him how the experience has been so far.

Parlyle said:
Sounds to me, you need to call Dish and have them send out a new/different 942. Mine is ok after the download. I have a little audio lag problem that isn't really to bad. I can live with it. Nothing that you described.

My problem was a bit bizarre. It lasted for about an hour in the morning. When I got home from work I didn't see any audio gaps again. I suspect that the gap behavior will show up again as soon as I reboot but I'd prefer to have a working system as long as possible so I'm not eager to try out that theory.

My fiancee saw some other audio strangeness. On live TV the audio was out of sync with the video. She rewound it to show me and then the audio was fine. This was with our local ABC channel.

My understanding is that the 942 engineers are aware of various audio problems and are working on a fix. It is VERY unlikely that these are hardware problems.

I set a manual timer over the weekend (I don't create many manual timers) and it was set to record M-F, 12:59-2:01pm. The timer fired, but when I went to view the recording I noticed it has recorded from 12:30-1:30pm. I am in single user mode and I was recording a Dish provided local channel (remapped to local channel 009-00 I believe). I am not sure if this problem was noted in prior releases because I infrequently set manual timers. Anyway, here are are some screen shots to show what I am talking about.

Attachments

• DSC_0021.JPG
    DSC_0021.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC_0023.JPG
    DSC_0023.JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC_0024.JPG
    DSC_0024.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSC_0025.JPG
    DSC_0025.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 120
I have a daily manual timer for 4:59 pm - 5:30 pm for the daily news on my local ota station. Today I was listening to the Siruis radio station form 7:30 am till 5:05 pm and up popped up a count down clock . When it got to 1 second , it froze and it stayed on the screen until I changed the channel myself 5 minutes later. The manual timer didn't fire because of it being on the Siruis radio station I guess. Although all the satellite channel timers did fire during the day. After the satellite channel timers fired , the 942 changed back to the same Siruis radio station. It must be a limitation or a bug with ota stations and the Siruis radio stations.

Ok another bug found with this software and the PocketDISH.

In the past when copying video to the PocketDISH I was able to select an option to View TV while data was being copied to the PocketDISH. Tonight the only option is STOP meaning for the 45 minutes my shows are copying to the PocketDISH I can not watch TV. :(

Some things are indeed better with L282; however OTA has gotten much worse. All HD locals were working great with L229. Signal got much weaker with L289/281 to a point of ABC in Dallas breaking up about every five minutes. Now, with L282, ABC is completely unwatchable and the others have regular breakups. DISH, your software upgrades took about 50% of what I watch away from me.... please fix it now or give me HD networks over satellite, not just CBS!!!! Any ideas how I can boost the ABC signal? It bounces back and forth between 0 andf 70... with L229 it used to be in the high 80s.

I'm Curious Why You Would Create A Product And Put It On The Market Knowing It Doesnt Work Right And 2nd Try To Fix It As You Go?
I Would Feel Taken.
The Japanese Would Say "you Drank To Much Saki"

I'm shooting about 25% for spontaneous reboots when hitting the INFO button on DVR'd programs early in their playback. Anyone else?

To the day of the download a problem has returned. Again to insure nothing else changed I tested all the related cables and connections. TV2 send fluctuates in brightness. It's clear and then at random intervals and for random periods, it changes from clear to as if a grey shade was dropped over the pic.

Also Caller ID is slower in responding. It was generally posting by ring 1 to 2 but now appears between rings 2-3. Ring three for us is when it the call rolls over to voice mail. So now we know we can't rely on using the Dish ID and we can't experience the convenience of the Dish Caller ID. Just an FYI post.

DWS44 said:
I've got 282. Never had any problems with my 942 before, so I don't know if this is related to 282 or not. Last night, though, I was getting a lot of blocking on SD channels...all across the board. HD channels were fine. I noticed a few of my SD recordings from late in the week had blocking when I was watching as well.

I'm having this exact same problem. Only thing is, it just started today, actually this morning around 10, and its also doing it on the HD channels. But it doesn't affect anything I've recorded before this morning. Blocking did happen today when I did some test recordings. Since I watch mostly SD (don't have the HDPak and such) its becoming a PITA. I wish I had let it sit at L229 never had a problem with it and the caller ID worked too. Dish please get your act together. :no

"It bounces back and forth between 0 andf 70... with L229 it used to be in the high 80s.
"

Goto to radio shack and buy an anntenuator, Dish has been playing with the built in setting with each release trying to make everyone happy.

After each update, I have to readjust it. No problems with it.

Macro blocking was worst I've seen last night on FoxNews channel.

"Video freeze while audio keeps going" problem still there. Power button reboot only way to get rid of it.

waltinvt said:
Macro blocking was worst I've seen last night on FoxNews channel.

"Video freeze while audio keeps going" problem still there. Power button reboot only way to get rid of it.
Me too, absolutely ditto. Watched the Cal-Stanford game on regional ABC satellite local last night, and the first 3 quarters of the game were fine, and then the last quarter started breaking up like crazy. It became literally unwatchable. The worst thing now is that you start watching something, it starts out okay, but you're constantly waiting for it to start breaking up. Ultimately it does, and then you get even more upset ("gee, I'm really surprised that it's breaking up now").

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)