DPP44 Switch (for 622) - How do I get one? Bribes, dirty pics, threats???

fs2685 said:
I currently have a Dish 500 with a DPP Twin feeding 3 tuners via 2 coax with a separator. I am getting a second dish and a 622, so I will have 3 sats and 4 tuners. I'd like to do it through the 2 existing coax (with 2 separators). Will I need a DP44 to do this?
No. The DPP Twin has an input for the other dish, and an internal switch. As long as you only have two receivers (even two dual-tuners), it'll work for you.

Last edited:
mdonnelly said:
It depends on how many receivers you have. If you have two or less, then the standard Dish 1000 with the DPP Twin will work for you, like BFG said. It uses the same technology as the DPP44 switch.

If you have more than two receivers, then the DPP44 is the best solution for you.

I'm glad a few people are getting it :)

So if I understand this correctly, I might not need a DPP44 after all.

After the upgrade to HD & adding a ViP622, and assuming a dish1000 is installed, I will have 5 tuners to feed.
- One output from the dish1000 can go to a 721, using a separator.
- The other dish 1000 output can feed a DP34, which in turn sends 2 coax to the ViP622 (OTA diplexed on one leg), and 1 coax to a 508.

Is this correct? No DPP44 needed?

And what if they add a 61.5 dish and keep my dish500 w/legacy quad LNB, rather than put up a dish1000?

b2_1

From the following picture use can see the DPP Twin has and in port for a third LNB and since it is Dish Pro Plus is can be used with seperator.

My current setup is a Dish 1000 feading a 522 and a ViP622 with one run to each receiver and a seperator installed on both receivers.

navychop said:
So if I understand this correctly, I might not need a DPP44 after all.

After the upgrade to HD & adding a ViP622, and assuming a dish1000 is installed, I will have 5 tuners to feed.
- One output from the dish1000 can go to a 721, using a separator.
- The other dish 1000 output can feed a DP34, which in turn sends 2 coax to the ViP622 (OTA diplexed on one leg), and 1 coax to a 508.

Is this correct? No DPP44 needed?

And what if they add a 61.5 dish and keep my dish500 w/legacy quad LNB, rather than put up a dish1000?
I think you'll still need the DPP44. The DP34 needs lines from each LNB to work. In your case, probably 61.5/110/119. The DPP Twin won't do what you want.

I suppose that since D.C. digitals are on 61.5, it would make sense to put up another dish for that, and not a Dish 1000. Yes, you can use two lines off the DP Quad into a DPP44, along with a line for 61.5. That will leave you two lines off the Quad for single tuner receivers, and 4 off the DPP44 for anything you want.

Last edited:
No. Dish has said not to use a DP34 with the DPPTwin, but I think some folks have used it but, both cables are used and it defeats the purpose of a DPPTwin, it just becomes a regular twin, same scenario with any other switch thrown in.

Again, the DPPTwin is restricted to 2 receivers (they can be 2 DP Dual tuner receivers; 2 DP single recievers; 1 DP single and 1 Legacy single; 1DP single and 1 DP dual; or 1 DP Dual and 1 legacy)

If any switches are needed because of more receivers than 2 or more than 3 satellites, the DPPTwin should not be used at all, and a Regualr DPTwin is used instead)

Y2k06 - The solution I offered last night WILL work.

1) You can connect the output of a Dish 1000 directly to a separator, then to your 622. No switches are needed since they are built into the 1000. And you will get 3 satellites to your 622.

2) Your other 3 receivers would use your existing Dish setup. (They would be completely isolated from the 622).

3) This meets your requirement of one cable to the 622. Your 3 other receivers would work on their own separate setup. And you don't need a DPP44 for this (just a Dish 1000).

Last edited:
stone phillips420 said:
so customers with 3 or more recievers require the dpp 44?
assuming they have programming from 110 119 129.
Subs with 3 or more receivers should want a DPP44, especially if any of the receivers are dual-tuners. I have a Dish 1000 (110/119/129) going to a DP34 for my four receivers, but none of them are dual-tuners. But no, nobody "requires" a DPP44. Cascaded DP34's will handle a lot of tuners, but will also require a separate coax cable for each tuner.

mdonnelly:

Thank you for your assistance. I realise they may want to put up a 61.5 for the locals, but I do not subscribe to them and likley never will. And the second dish has low WAF. Very low.

So if I have just the dish1000, will the DP34 setup in post 24 work?

I'm beginning to believe that my only hope for an actual install on 3/21 is if I can avoid a DPP44.

No. you can't just give a switch 1 cable from the DPPTwin. The switch requires a cable for each satellite. So The DPPTwin is useless in your case and should not be used. You'll need a DPP44 since you have 5 tuners.

The only other way to avoid the DPP44 is to have your Dish1000 consist of a DP Quad. and you run 2 inputs from that to a DP34 1 cable from the lnb pointing to 129 into the dp34 and just 2 run cables from the dp34 to your your 622 and the other 2 to your 721, and then have 1 cable from the quad run to your 508.

It seems the least hassle for you is to drop the 508...

Last edited:
navychop said:
So if I have just the dish1000, will the DP34 setup in post 24 work?

I'm beginning to believe that my only hope for an actual install on 3/21 is if I can avoid a DPP44.
I have that setup at my house. It works for four tuners, not five.

Attachments

• satellite diagram.bmp
    750.1 KB · Views: 112
mdonnelly & BFG:

Hmmmmm. I misunderstood the dish1000. Thank you for your diagram and the comments. So the dish1000 "normally" has a twin, which has two outputs, one for each satellite. But I "could" install a Quad, which has four outputs, each output covering both satellites.

To have all three locations "129 capable" I would need to cascade two DP34s or one DP34 and one SW21. Either would give me all satellites on all coax.

But I would still need to run another coax to the 721, since the DP34 cannot support a separator. Does it matter that the Quad is a legacy?

I'd be simpler just to go with a DPP44 and use a separator to the 721. But since I can't count on that, I'd be ahead to run the extra coax to the 721 before he gets here.

Or am I completely out to lunch?

on edit: legacy Twin, each output is one satellite. Pro Twin, internal switch, each output covers both satellites. DPP twin adds input for another dish- and supports separator? No idea what the difference between legacy quad & DP quad is.

Last edited:
you can't mix legacy with DP

both legacy and dp quads are internally switched the difference between them, is that legacy equipment is how the switching is done....

brettbolt said:
Y2k06 - The solution I offered last night WILL work.

1) You can connect the output of a Dish 1000 directly to a separator, then to your 622. No switches are needed since they are built into the 1000. And you will get 3 satellites to your 622.

2) Your other 3 receivers would use your existing Dish setup. (They would be completely isolated from the 622).

3) This meets your requirement of one cable to the 622. Your 3 other receivers would work on their own separate setup. And you don't need a DPP44 for this (just a Dish 1000).

Brettbolt---> Thank you, Thank you so much! - Now I understand what you are saying completely.

However, this means that in addition to my existing 2 dishes on the roof, I will need a THIRD (dish1000), which, in essence will be dedicated solely to the single line / separator for the 622's dual tuner. - GOT IT -

Now, how do I get Dish to send someone out before hell freezes over, do that, and leave the rest of the system ALONE?

Is everyone else in concurrence with this opinion? Seems quite logical to me.

So if the installer doesn't bring a DPP44, he'd better bring DISHPro Quad LNBF and some DP34s. And I'd still better run that 5th coax ahead of time.

And either way, it'll work with a ViP622, 721, 508 & 301 (long enough to deactivate)?

On edit:

Of course, since "at this time" I will only have a single receiver using 129, maybe they'll insist on doing it as in post 33. And then have to redo the work whenever I move to a second HD MPEG-4 STB (in 2-3 years). Perhaps I'd better be "very appreciative" to the installer to get it installed to cover 129 at all points.

Last edited:
Now I am worried about my install set for 3/25. I currently have a superdish feeding 110/119/105 into a DP34 switch. I have a 510 and a 301 connected to the DP34. I am replacing the 510 with the 622 and I hope to use diplexers to backfeed the TV2 output to the bedroom so that I can return the 301. I was told that the installer would bring my receiver and a 2nd dish to point at 129 or 61.5. If he does not bring a DPP44 switch will I be screwed until I get the DPP44?:confused:

Yes, pretty much. But Dish is telling my RSP that any!!! install that requires a 4th orbital location is automatically going to include a DPP 44 switch. What messes things up is when it's just a 2 or 3 orbital location and you have more than 2 receivers and at least one of them is a dual tuner.

As an installer, I've been moderately successful in getting Dish to modify workorders from either a DP Quad or DP 34 to a DPP 44. It's just much easier for all parties concerned to uses single cable runs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)