Dr. Who: Day of the Doctor in Movie Theaters one night only : 11/25

BobMurdoch

Playing XBoxOne SeriesX/Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 12, 2003
Brielle, NJ
Plan to watch it Today on BBCA and then again on Monday with my daughter at the theater. Had tickets for about a month now.

Can someone tell me if you need to be all caught up to watch this? I'm rather behind (Series 6.) Is this a separate cannon like the last 2 Doctor reunion shows, or will I be lost/spoiled if I'm not up to date? I already have a copy of the show but haven't watched it yet.

Wait... so.. the only other doctor that was in this was David Tennant? I thought they were bringing back all the living doctors. Sounds like this is no different than those regular "specials" they have every year like Xmas and such..

Ignore the haters, it was a great romp. John Hurt was not at all what I expected, he was brilliant!

I'm not saying I'm not going to watch it, but at least now I know I need to catch up beforehand. I've been really into it since the reboot (and also really enjoyed the original series) but for whatever reason I fell off during Series 6. Last thing I "remember" was the whole Rose Baby thing, but that means I need to go back and rewatch that year from the beginning since these storylines are much more complex nowadays. Still a little disappointing that they didn't bring back everyone that was alive.

Ignore the haters, it was a great romp. John Hurt was not at all what I expected, he was brilliant!

absolutely! Hurt played a terrific part IMO. Really loved watching it again in the theater, like most episodes, they are best watched multiple times, but this one really made you think about past events like Rassilon and even the End of Time two parter from a couple years back.

The other cameo's besides the clip of Eccleson were great and I really liked how they have used old footage to bring past Doctors to life again. So glad to see Tom make a true appearance also, he was the Doctor I first grew to know watching on PBS back in the day.

No. It wouldn't. It would have been expensive, but not that difficult. Not having Chris Eccleston at least make a cameo appearance was nearly inexcusable.

He said he was done playing Doctor Who, so I don't any amount of money would have lured him back. Well, any amount of money that the producers could free up at least.

I LOVED this film. They found a way to work in the other doctors. My wife squealed when "the curator" hit the screen. The banter between Tennant and Smith was wonderful. My only complaint was that Billie Piper got to play Rose, but didn't. Those who see it will understand the statement.

I especially loved the way they stuck a crowbar into the "time locked" event that was the primary formative event of the Doctor's life. Like the Star Trek reboot, it allows existing canon to remain, but leaves intriguing future stories open.

I think Moffat did an amazing job. The roar that went up from the crowd of fans at our screening was testament to that. That and all the sonic screwdriver effects at the end of the movie from the crowd (I was guilty, Apple does, indeed, have an app for that).

My 14 year old daughter beamed with pride as I aimed my Sonic Screwdriver app at the car door and unlocked our car doors as we left. Her friend, who came with us, looked at me with a smile and said to my daughter "Your Dad is cool!". Yeah, I'm gonna live off off that moment for a while.

Wait... so.. the only other doctor that was in this was David Tennant? I thought they were bringing back all the living doctors. Sounds like this is no different than those regular "specials" they have every year like Xmas and such..

Baker made an appearance, kind of like his character, but not. They left it ambiguous.

I'm not saying I'm not going to watch it, but at least now I know I need to catch up beforehand. I've been really into it since the reboot (and also really enjoyed the original series) but for whatever reason I fell off during Series 6. Last thing I "remember" was the whole Rose Baby thing, but that means I need to go back and rewatch that year from the beginning since these storylines are much more complex nowadays. Still a little disappointing that they didn't bring back everyone that was alive.

A case of wanting the stars and only getting the moon. Um, the moon was still pretty great. You COULD see it without the others, but they reference a bunch of small items that make it more enjoyable if you get the in joke from building on previous events. That being said, it is still highly watchable regardless of your previous experience.

If nothing else it gives me a reason to catch up. I'm currently watching House of Cards (which is f***ing AMAZING btw) but once that's done I'll delve back into the Doctor.

If nothing else it gives me a reason to catch up. I'm currently watching House of Cards (which is f***ing AMAZING btw) but once that's done I'll delve back into the Doctor.
I found that one this weekend on Netflix and will probably try and watch more during the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Good Show.
(I also had my Hopper catch a metric crapton of Dr. Who episodes from BBCA and KLRU).

For those that wanted to see House of Cards, but don't have Netflix, you can buy the box set of the show at Best Buy on Black Friday for $9.99.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts