Dr Who s05e13 - The Big Bang (series 5 finale)

Derwin0

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 16, 2004
Peachtree City, GA
The series 5 finale, part 2 of The Pandorica Opens

From the BBC episode description (very spoilerish of Part 1's cliffhanger).
The Doctor is gone, the Tardis has been destroyed, and the universe is collapsing. The only hope for all reality is a little girl who still believes in stars.

Previews of the Big Bang
***don't watch if you haven't seen the Pandorica Opens***

[YOUTUBE]YbacAAmFAy0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]2pbqsX5VfrQ[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]sfYIJXN4loc[/YOUTUBE]

Just saw the finale.

Awesome episode!!!

I'm glad Rory is staying a companion, I love the dynamic of the three of them together

Just got home and finished watching. I agree a great episode. I was hoping for a few more answers though. Surprised there wasn't a teaser for the Xmas episode, rumor is that the Yeti will be in it.

It's already over again? Boy a season of Dr.Who doesn't last long at all. I wish they had at least a 22 episode run like the U.S. series do.

I remember when seasons were 32 episodes.
I remember those days, it would be 5 4-part episodes with a 6-part to wrap it up. Granted they were only half an hour.

Things changed when Colin Baker took over. They switch to an hour format but with only 13 episodes (same as today) except all the stories were 2 or 3 parters.

Then with the Trial of the Time Lords, they shorted back to half hour episodes but left the season at 16 episodes, so you only got 4 4-part episodes each year til the show was canceled after Sly's 3 seasons.

The true marathons were back under Hartnell & Troughton when they had 40+ episodes each year.

I also really enjoyed the finale!
I love how the new writer likes to play a bit, especially with the whole time travel/paradoxes with the wrist based time travel. Also I thought Matt did a great job at the end portraying a tired old man when he thought he was fading into the crack. Did really remind me of the old-school Doctor's and not like the newer cocky Doctor's we've been accustomed too. The full season tie in (similair to Bad Wolfe) was done well too.

I agree the seasons tend to FLY by... though I do like how they end with me wanting more. I watched one of the Baker episodes not long ago, and some of the scenes were beyond boring, hehe. Just people standing around talking about non-sense and had the feeling of being more of a play. I don't remember feeling the same way when I was younger watching them, though now probably pretty spoiled by TV shows today :)

-Mike

I remember those days, it would be 5 4-part episodes with a 6-part to wrap it up. Granted they were only half an hour.
Actually, I was talking TV series in general, not just Dr. Who.
Back in the 60's and 70's.

The season finale will be on BBC America this Saturday. Great episode if you haven't already seen it. :D

Last edited:
I'm really eager to see if they start piecing together the River Song stuff next season. Since the Forests of the Dead episodes where River alludes to a doctor who is all powerful, causing armies to scatter while he swaggerd back the TARDIS and opened it with a snap of his fingers, possibly behaving as the Time Lord Victorius as in Waters of Mars.

It seems apparent to me that River and the Doctor have some sort of "love" type relationship given the emotion in the earlier Forests of the Dead when River talks about her own impending death and why her Doctor gave her his screwdriver and she came to the library. The fact that River knew the Doctors real name implies just an incredible amount of trust he had in her. However, based on her acts of cruelty and the way the stone dalek begged for mercy after realizing who she was, there is obviously more to her character than we are being told so far.

What is great is my 6 year old daugter watches all the new Who's with me and she impresses me with how she keeps it in her head. She understand the companions and the linear timeline of their lives. She also understands the doctors personal timeline is linear to him and disjoined in the companions understanding of time. What I really found surprising is how she now understands the River Song characters's timeline ends when the doctor had his first encounter with her in the library and how she talks about his future and her past and how the two share an out of sync timeline.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)