Dreambox as receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

gepebril

Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
Surinam
Hi there,

I lived in Europe and are now based in S-America. In Europe you could use a Dreambox receiver for all DVB channels available. The Dreambox scene is huge over there and growing rapidly due to the unique features of the device.

Strangely enough it seems hardly anyone uses it on this side of the ocean. I couldn't find any information on seeing Directv on a Dreambox. Is this possible?, and if not, does somebody knows why?

Yours sincerely,

Albert

no it is not possible for 2 reasons

1. Directv doesnt use DVB...they use their own setup called DSS
2. Directv (and Dish) use their own receivers with smart cards in them. They only will activate their own receivers

Hmm I smell something cooking here with a foul smell, anyone else?

Not really, you don't know European model of DVB market - any box had CAM slots and you will buy cards from content provider to sub for particular channels.

Despite of whole world of that model NA market is highly domestically protected from it by lobbying companies like DTV and Dish.

@Iceberg. Thanks for the info. Googling on DSS revealed a wikipedia link explaining DSS. It seems like GSM (mobile phone standard) that although the US was first with a digital system the European system slowly takes over. It seems Directv is using more and more DVB. I don't favour the European systems, I just like the idea of one global system.
Maybe time for the US to throw the miles, ponds, ounces, gallons overboard as being the last country in the world not complying to the metric system of Napoleon. If you can't beat them, than join them ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts