Dreambox Edit Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Alan Rovner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Vancouver, WA
Hi guys, question for you. I'm using Dreambox Edit to change the channel content on my Edision OS Mio+ 4K. I download the channel list, edit some items, and write it back to the box. Then my changes appear as expected next time I switch to various satellites. OK so far. I come back later, and go to the same satellite and the original list reappears, not the changes I made earlier. As an example, I removed several Music Choice channels from 125W after doing a blind scan. These channels come back some time later. I also renamed a few channels that reverted back to their original name later. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,
Al Rovner, K7AR
Vancouver, Wash.

The STB is set by default to scan for changes to the transponder tables and update service information. Currently, your STB is seeing that the service information from the transponder is different than the information stored in the STB and is overwriting.

If you are running TNAP, follow this GUI path to make this change to the default setting:
Menu>>> Setup>>> System>>> Customize>>> Disable Background Scanning : ON

The STB is set by default to scan for changes to the transponder tables and update service information. Currently, your STB is seeing that the service information from the transponder is different than the information stored in the STB and is overwriting.

If you are running TNAP, follow this GUI path to make this change to the default setting:

Quoting an old post... I received my new OS Mio from Titanium (thank you!) and am currently digesting how everything works, and reading up on old posts.

I was looking for this setting, but I don’t see it for some reason. When I Goto Menu, Setup, System, Customize there is only one option listed “show menu or plugin numbers”, nothing else. This is on TNAP 3.2.

Is there another setting somewhere to enable more options to show?

I think pressing the blue button brings up the hidden menu options, but I haven't used that image in a long time so not positive.

No luck using the blue button. Yeah, I thought I read something regarding the hidden menus, but can’t find that post now. My brain is on overload getting used to this box

Quoting an old post... I received my new OS Mio from Titanium (thank you!) and am currently digesting how everything works, and reading up on old posts.

I was looking for this setting, but I don’t see it for some reason. When I Goto Menu, Setup, System, Customize there is only one option listed “show menu or plugin numbers”, nothing else. This is on TNAP 3.2.

Is there another setting somewhere to enable more options to show?
User mode is set to expert by default in TNAP 3.2 so why you don't see all the options is strange. Have you loaded some settings backup from another Openpli image? You may need to do a factory reset and start over.

User mode is set to expert by default in TNAP 3.2 so why you don't see all the options is strange. Have you loaded some settings backup from another Openpli image? You may need to do a factory reset and start over.

No, I haven’t restored any settings or tried any other images, just starting fresh.

Ok thanks, will try that if I can’t figure it out.

Factory reset did the trick. I see tons of options now under Customize. Thanks!

When I first setup the receiver, I went through the “wizard” screens, I wonder if I accidentally disabled the expert mode. After I did the factory reset, I exited the wizard this time right away so perhaps that may be the difference.

Don't ya just hate it when you have to wipe everything out and start over to fix the problem(s)?

One other question related to this... If I edit some channel names in my favorites and write the changes back to the box, what is the best way to prevent the names from being overwritten if I do another blind scan? Is that normal when that happens?

One other question related to this... If I edit some channel names in my favorites and write the changes back to the box, what is the best way to prevent the names from being overwritten if I do another blind scan? Is that normal when that happens?
I know the way I rename my favorites using the remote the channel names never change back. Only time I ever used the editor program was to add the music pid's for 103w Ku and that was a few years ago. I like background scanning so it's enabled here and never any problems with names.

See post 4 above:

yaaa. linuxsat support guys suggested i try e-channelizer and that's what i've been using ever since.
no issues, have a full list of picons on my channel lists. it plays nice with my mio.
no flac, please. it just works nicely for me.

Reactions: SDA_FL_USA
See post 4 above:

Thanks Brian, yes post #4 was mine and I understand the setting should prevent the channels from being renamed back automatically in the background. But even with that setting turned ON, it appears they get renamed back during a blind scan.

I’ll try the suggestion of just renaming from the GUI and see if that works.

It looks like there is the option to rename channels in WebIF but, the “Rename” button is grayed out for some reason.

Thanks Brian, yes post #4 was mine and I understand the setting should prevent the channels from being renamed back automatically in the background. But even with that setting turned ON, it appears they get renamed back during a blind scan.

I’ll try the suggestion of just renaming from the GUI and see if that works.

It looks like there is the option to rename channels in WebIF but, the “Rename” button is grayed out for some reason.

You need to SAVE them into a FAVORITES channel bouquet, AND disable background scanning. If you do that, they won't rename themselves. If you always leave them in the default full channel bouquet, they'll always overwrite with a new scan.

Ok, I started over and scanned in some channels, moved them to Favorites bouquet, and then did the renames in the Favorites. Then did a blind scan again and the names remained intact in Favorites like primestar indicated. I must have messed something up when trying to do that in Dreamedit originally. I’m staying away from using that program for now until I get the hang of things a little better.

If anyone knows how to get the channel rename function to work in the WebIF bouquet editor, let me know.

Thanks!

Reactions: primestar31
yaaa. linuxsat support guys suggested i try e-channelizer and that's what i've been using ever since.
no issues, have a full list of picons on my channel lists. it plays nice with my mio.
no flac, please. it just works nicely for me.
Me and Sammy Adams shared some thoughts about this.
My results when I got the bright idea to throw my favorites into the Favorites folder crashed.
My dish would go nuts going 2 steps forward and 3 steps back. Results: lost counts and having to find and peak my sats all over again.
Since day 1 using a channel editor I've always placed channels arranged like the photo. It works. Dish counts stay put.
Channels on charts differ from what the receiver shows after a scan. Like 3839V SID 0X10 may be Me TV.
So you change the name and all is good....until you rescan. Not bad if you happen to only have renamed a couple.
That's why you create a backup lamedb. And a backup of that. Put one in a directory named, hell, "Todays Date".
Background scanning? Never use it. There was some update package in my image that would periodically kick in and bork my entire channels.
Thank beer...okay, a backup. Of the lamedb. Channel editor>Open File>Choose the last good lamedb>Write to Box. Vi-Ola! (as Kelly Bundy said).
My suggestion. Unless you have a fixed dish. Put your favorites in different favorites folders.
And if you've advanced far enough to use picons and need some. I have a pretty good collection of them. Most are renamed to what is shown on tvrosat charts that I watch. Let me know.
channels.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Latest posts