Dryer killing signal

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
I ordered a new dryer. Coax and dryer's been in same place for 30 years. Something must be happening with dryer.
Since the new dryer didn’t fix it, maybe the coax is going bad. Of you have a length of coax, try it first. I wonder if the coax connector at the lnb has some corrosion or the coax insulation is breaking down and enough RFI when the dryer runs is causing signal degradation.

Reactions: charlesrshell

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
If it is gas it operates on 120 volt and possibly could be on the same circuit as your hopper.
Why would the circuit make a difference? I would assume even if the dryer pulled too much current, the Hopper would shutdown and you'd get no picture from the hopper while the dryer was running.

I agree with the RFI theory. I like PP's suggestion about changing and/or rerouting the Coax (is it RG6 or RG59?) from the Dish to the receiver and starting the dryer to see what happens.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Foxbat

Addicted to new HW
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
Michiana
So I posted about losing Signal every Sunday and someone mentioned something about washing clothes at that time. Well it is the Dryer. Soon as turn on it kills signal. It is about in a small room that extends into garage. Dish is probably 20 foot away. The cable runs outside wall on top of wall next to dryer. What could possibly be causing this from dryer?
I ordered a new dryer. Coax and dryer's been in same place for 30 years. Something must be happening with dryer.
30 year old coax is probably RG-59, not RG-6Q that you need for the 3 GHz signals from your LNBf. Running new RG-6 Quad coax should be the end of your signal loss.

the mack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 10, 2009
HOCKEYTOWN
Why would the circuit make a difference?
It should not make any difference. Everyone else was throwing out guesses so I thought I would chime in.
Also just because coax is old and not sweep tested does not mean it is not rg6 or will not carry 3ghz signal. (I have some old rg6,belden from 1983 the works great and seems to be way better made then some of the new cheap looking crap)
Obviously it works when the dryer is off, and the coax may well be the problem but think other issues are at fault.

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
It should not make any difference. Everyone else was throwing out guesses so I thought I would chime in.
Also just because coax is old and not sweep tested does not mean it is not rg6 or will not carry 3ghz signal. (I have some old rg6,belden from 1983 the works great and seems to be way better made then some of the new cheap looking crap)
Obviously it works when the dryer is off, and the coax may well be the problem but think other issues are at fault.
I agree old coax doesn't mean it won't work. However, if it's RG59 (and PP had my exact thought... if it's 30 year old cable there's a VERY good chance it's only 59 and not 6), that might point to the problem.

I disagree that quad shield is a requirement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)