DSR410 Hor/Ver and LNB power problems

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yuccabrevifolia

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Tehachapi CA
Odd problem with the DSR410 I just bought. I was able to sub without a problem, then it got a bit weird.

Once I had it hooked up, I could only receive horizontal not vertical. At that point I had it looped through a Sonicview 8000hd and a v-box.

So then I connected the dish coax directly to the DSR410. The signal strength dropped from 92% to 25%.

I then looped it through an old Viewsat that I had. The signal level went up to 92% again but this time the vertical came in, not the horizontal.

I powered down and reconnected each configuration twice to make sure it wasn't something transient.

I'm assuming that the two receivers that I looped through were controlling, or somehow overriding the polarity on the Motorola. But when I ran the coax directly from the dish to the Motorola, the signal strength dropped so far that I get the impression that it is not powering the LNB at all, and that the only reason it works is because of the power from the receiver it is looped through. Is there some menu item that I am missing? In the menu 6778 circular left is selected. I don't see any option for powering or not powering the LNB.

The LNB is a Geosatpro C2, which is supposed to be 4DTV compliant.

I don't mind dedicating a dish to this unit and taking the sonicview out of the loop entirely, but I do not understand how to correct the signal drop when the 410 is hooked up by itself.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like the polarity is reversed.

I had this problem when first setting up a 410 on an existing 4dtv dish setup.

If possible, rotate your LNB/feed horn to reverse the polarity.

As best I remember the 410 does not have a parity reversal like the 92x

You could check this by doing a manual tune, where you can specify the polarity.

90* offset LNBF

Did you check the LNBF to make sure it is skewed per Skyvision's instructions?

Dsr-410s require the LNBF to be 90* off of what is normal for a 4DTV.

Attachments

• LNBF_Install.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 287
Thanks for the help. I'm trying to understand how the above effects my problem. This is a motorized C-Band setup that has worked well for about six months now. If I change the skew 90 degrees then I lose the ability to pull in normal signals from the dish, don't I? That would mean that I couldn't use this dish for normal FTA anymore, wouldn't it? And if the LNB were 180 degrees off, I shouldn't get anything since the TPs would all be the wrong polarity?

I also don't understand why it would get a 90+ signal strength when looped through the FTA receiver and only 25 by itself. Right now I have it hooked up through the Viewsat, get all of the HITS channels on the vertical side with a great signal, just the horizontals don't come in. My youngest is sitting in there watching DisnsyXD right now.

Before I pull it apart (it was a real pain to fine tune to begin with) I want to understand the "why" of what I'm doing. Thanks again for helping me work through this. This thing is a "black box" compared with normal FTA receivers. Nowhere near as easy see what is going on inside.

Last edited:
Make sure you put the viewsat in standby (turn off with remote) to get both polarities coming through.

Catamount

Make sure you put the viewsat in standby (turn off with remote) to get both polarities coming through.

Catamount

Thanks. That makes sense. I just tried it, and the moment that I hit the power button on the viewsat remote, the little sat dish icon on the front of the 410 changed from green to red and the signal went away altogether.

If you were to run 2 coaxes from your Geosat C2 to a 3x4 or 4x4 multiswitch then one coax each to your 410 & Viewsat you wouldn't need to turn off the Viewsat, simply switch TV inputs (like AV1 or AV2).

I'm using a DMX242 on the movable 7.5 ft C-band dish running to a Eagle Aspen 4x8 powered multiswitch with the LNBF zero mark at 9 o'clock position(looking into the dish). The polarities are correct for the 410 & FTA receivers this way.

We're both left coast so this could work for you too.

brex2001 said:
If you were to run 2 coaxes from your Geosat C2 to a 3x4 or 4x4 multiswitch then one coax each to your 410 & Viewsat you wouldn't need to turn off the Viewsat, simply switch TV inputs (like AV1 or AV2).

I'm using a DMX242 on the movable 7.5 ft C-band dish running to a Eagle Aspen 4x8 powered multiswitch with the LNBF zero mark at 9 o'clock position(looking into the dish). The polarities are correct for the 410 & FTA receivers this way.

We're both left coast so this could work for you too.

This is how my C2 is set up on my 7.5 footer since it's shared by 3 receivers. :)

Just an update. I did get it working. I had to rotate the LNB 90 degrees counterclockwise, then I had a signal on both. The other problem turned out to be the Sonicview. I can have the 410 looped through the receiver, but the receiver cannot be on while I'm using the 410. The Sonicview overrides the polarity. Problem solved. Thanks all!

So... does that mean the 410 is opposite the polarity of all your FTA receivers?
I know the 922 (and probably 920) were backwards, but gave a menu option to reverse.

So... does that mean the 410 is opposite the polarity of all your FTA receivers?
I know the 922 (and probably 920) were backwards, but gave a menu option to reverse.

My DSR-920 and DSR-4200 are opposite of my DVB boxes and DSR-410. I thought the 410 would be like it's DSR siblings, but it's not.

I have not seen any of the other receivers, but I can tell you that the 410 has very few menu options. The only thing in the menus that was even related was the ability to switch from horizontal to vertical manually, and I'm not sure that feature even works. As I mentioned above, this is a black box comparatively, not really intended for anyone but an end user.

I had read somewhere (on satguys) that the geosatpro c2 came from the factory 90 degrees off. I wasn't at all sure what that meant relative to my situation, but with the information from other folks here made me decide to take the dish apart and try it. I unbolted the scalar and rotated the whole thing 90 degrees. I guess I got lucky because it worked the first time. Of course now I have to scan everything back in on the Sonicview, once I am able to get the kids (and my wife) away from the TV that is. :)

I think I'll start looking around for one of these 922s. It sounds as though they are much closer to a hobbyist receiver than this one is. I'm curious about what else might be up there in DCII, but I doubt if I'll be able to find out with this box.

So, you blind scanned all the channels on C-band into your Sonicview, originally?
Didn't ya ever notice that H & V were opposite of what was listed in The List or Lyngsat?
Guess I can see where that might be overlooked.

There has been info on the forum since the C2 came out, as to how to rotate it for proper function.
Kinda wish it was printed on the box, or on the unit, but that's the way it goes. ;)

Lastly, all ya needed to do was loosen the LNBF in the scalar, and give it a 90° twist.
I hope you were joking about unbolting the scalar from the feedarms. :)

But at least it's fixed! That's what counts.

Anole, to be honest I never pay that much attention. As long as the TPs were right I really didn't look at the details. I simply blind scan every satellite every few weeks or so. I do have a lot of duplicates now, so I guess that's probably the reason.

It wouldn't have occurred to me that an LNBF sold by so many people would have a problem like that and not have it noted somewhere obvious either. Or maybe I didn't look in the right place. Oh well, at least this discussion is here so it can be found when the next person has this problem with a 410.

Yeah, I unbolted the scalar. It took me too long to peak, with my wife yelling the signal strength out the window while I tweaked it to risk having that LNBF slip in relation to the scalar. It was only eight bolts, and since it is a four point mount I could be certain I was exactly 90% from the original position. When I was done, the signal strength had not changed at all, so I guess I was right. :)

Last edited:
Anole said:

All 4dtv recievers are opposite polarity when compared to standard dvb tuners. As stated the 905,920,922 all have menu options to compensate for this. The 410 may also have this setting in one of its menus but i dont own one so i cant confirm.

crackt out,.

The 410s do not have a polarity option.
The LNBF must be oriented with the zero at 9 or 3 o'clock(when used with a movable dish) just for them to operate correctly.

hey guys! im havein a problem with 2 of my 410s ,problem is that i have to manual tune to get a green light but when i do and i try to jump to another ch it goes red. i call my service provider they sent a hitt my counter tripped but no pic, its just that the signal goes when u switch to another ch and u have to manual tune all over again any elp thanks.

DAMIEN ANTHONY said:
hey guys! im havein a problem with 2 of my 410s ,problem is that i have to manual tune to get a green light but when i do and i try to jump to another ch it goes red. i call my service provider they sent a hitt my counter tripped but no pic, its just that the signal goes when u switch to another ch and u have to manual tune all over again any elp thanks.

Sounds like you need to rotate your LNBF 90° so it will stay locked on the signal. Manual tuning will make it lock, but as soon as you change channels, it looks for the correct polarity resulting in loss of signal, since V and H are currently reversed.

Sounds like you need to rotate your LNBF 90° so it will stay locked on the signal. Manual tuning will make it lock, but as soon as you change channels, it looks for the correct polarity resulting in loss of signal, since V and H are currently reversed.

If I was in a betting mood I would bet on eurosport I would bet he's right.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)