DSR410 not locking sat W5 105W

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You need to make sure that you are on 105 C-band.
NASA is one of the few signals that your SATHAWK may be able to pick up (warning, it's an HD signal).
Once you have it optimized with this MPEG receiver, rotate the LNBF 90 degrees.
Then connect your DSR-410, using one of the in-the-clear audio channels between 901 and 940.
This assumes that you have not done a reset of the receiver since receiving it from Skyvision,
which might remove those signals until it is authorized. Then you would need to go to a "normal"
video channel starting with 201 or higher channel number and use the inboard metering system,
with the goal of a solid green DC2 light on the console. Only then should it be considered to call
in for a re-hit of your authorization from Programmng Center.

Ok, eurosport, I'll try it. And thanks ice! I figured you would pop in after a while. I've read many of your posts. :cool:

It's a little different than the old analog days that I remember! I'm re-learning it all again, at the benefit of saving money if it all works out!

Mikekohl-Thanks! I will try that when I get home from work. Just think, one of these times I'm going to report seeing pictures! I don't give up easily!

eurosport- I just haven't had a chance to mess with it. It's been too springlike outside, got doing other things! I do think I will try spinning the lnbf 90 counterclockwise next since clockwise didn't do anything. Is there a particular direction I should be turning it after I establish a signal with my FTA receiver with c-band scan, of course?

doug900 said:
eurosport- I just haven't had a chance to mess with it. It's been too springlike outside, got doing other things! I do think I will try spinning the lnbf 90 counterclockwise next since clockwise didn't do anything. Is there a particular direction I should be turning it after I establish a signal with my FTA receiver with c-band scan, of course?

90 degrees in either direction should work. I don't remember if my DSR 410 has the "rotated 90" setting in the menu like my 920 did. I'll check it later when I get home.

90 degrees in either direction should work. I don't remember if my DSR 410 has the "rotated 90" setting in the menu like my 920 did. I'll check it later when I get home.

I remember "Ice" mentioning that the DSR410 takes its sweet time locking, or acquiring a signal. At least I thought that was the model that he mentioned. How long did it take you?

doug900 said:
I remember "Ice" mentioning that the DSR410 takes its sweet time locking, or acquiring a signal. At least I thought that was the model that he mentioned. How long did it take you?

I remember it taking a while at first. I don't see the "rotated 90" in the menu.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

If I get a chance tonight, I will play around with it. I'm anxious to get this going. I'm getting tired of the $72/month from Dish Network, when they deprive me of the couple of channels that I used to get. My $49/month worked its way to $72/month without any help from me (Sleight of hand)! Shame on Dish!

eurosport- I tried going the other direction 90degrees but no joy. It did look funny with the flat part of the lnbf streight up and parallel to the ground (this would be 90 from where I got a strong signal with the FTA receiver, counterclockwise) In the instructions from Skyvision, they say to have the lnbf at about the 5 O'clock position. Well, right now it is at about 12 noon! Hmm? Haven't had much time to mess with it. Boy I wish I had a bird dog sat finder! A little pricey for me though!

For tuning you can use the "ebno" values in the DCII setup menu. If I remember back something above 6.0 would lock OK. There was another box in the upper left corner of that screen that also had a 2 digit number displayed. I think if it changed to 07 it had a lock. A negative ebno figure meant it wasn't receiving anything.

Many of the GI-Motorola DCII receivers would start scrolling various frequencies and symbol rates when searching for a signal and that is why it seems to take a long time to lock. I have been there myself and was adjusting when I should have been waiting. The best way is to probably have the manually set parameters first, like SR 19510. Try one polarity or the other. It's been awhile now since I had my 410 but I think it had a screen that said something like "correct signal found" colored green when it had the correct provider ID (4160) and a DCII data stream.

I was surprised how easy it was to get mine going. Once I put the lnbf on, I connected to an fta box and made sure it was getting both polarities. (or maybe I did that on an adjacent satellite, can't recall what all is on that H2H bird right now).
Once I had that locked in at best PQ, just hooked up the 410 and it lit right up. What was the funniest thing, the sound is SO LOUD , almost knocked me down when i unmuted the tv speakers on one of those music channels. It ain't FIOS or any of that super-HD stuff, but works for what I wanted.

turbosat, my luck is very seldom that good. It's my persistance that gets me where I want to go. sometimes I wish it were different!:confused:

News! I've hit the bird! I locked onto W5 finally!Believe it or not, I was a satellite or 2 off to the east. GEEZ! Well, I got home and cracked open a Yuengling, since it was a hot day, and figured I'd go to my original reference point on the LNBF and tweak it from there. In order to reach the blasted lnbf, I had to move the dish down to W8. As I'm moving it and looking at the DSR410, I saw the red satellite lock indicator flash green very quickly. Then I put my GI450i in manual dish move mode and inched it back until I got a steady green light on the 410. I actually had a 35 on signal strength at that point, so I programmed the GI450i to that spot as the W5 new position, then I cracked open my 2nd Yuengling and headed out to the dish to decide which way to tweak the lnbf. I believe I went counterclockwise about 40 degrees or so. I went back nto the house, moved my dish back to the new W5 position, got the green lock light, and when I checked the signal, it was 80 with a 90 some-odd quality. I looked at my Yuengling bottle which was 3/4 gone and figured there had to be something to it! WOOO! I'm a very occasional beer drinker, but there had to be something in that bottle! :cool: I promptly called satellite-programming.net and subscribed! Now, I have some more tweaking to do. A lot of channels are coming in and a lot aren't. I figure it's a horizontal, vertical issue. Remember, I got lucky getting an 80 signal, now I can fine tune it! Life is good!!
Thanks for all of the help guys! I am still open to suggestions if you think I'm off base on the hor. vert. theory.:popcorn

Sorry about the epistle, but I'm excited!

Last edited:
After I hit the bird (smacked it!), I was getting horizontal but no verticle channels (so much for voltage switching!). Since I have a dual digital c-band LNBF, I'm thinking that is my problem. What I finally did was to put a power passive splitter on in reverse (both LNBF feeds in and one output to the receiver). Then I went out to the dish and eyeballed the antenna elements inside the LNBF. I adjusted the LNBF so that these elements were precisely horizontal and verticle, by eye. I now get all of the channels, and equal signal strength! My signal isn't great, I'm sure because of the loss through the splitter, and I suspect that the splitter I used, from the old satellite days may not meet the specs. I may look into a combiner that meets the frequencies required, and possibly a line powered signal booster. I suspect that my signal is being attenuated by the splitter, or maybe I really do have a voltage switching issue. before I did all of this, I was pushing 80 to 90 on signal an 90+ on quality (this was on either polarity, but not both at once). C-band digital ROCKS!

Last edited:
I think this closes the chapter. I went out to the dish yesterday, since the wind was causing me to lose my already weak signal. I spun the lnbf clockwise and and checked several times until I was happy and was able to get horizontal and verticle signals in the upper 70's with good quality numbers. Since I previously hooked up both feeds to my single receiver input via power passive splitter, naturally both elements moved in a linear fashion, and it showed on the signal meter. I guess this is where I will leave it. Does anybody know if the single feed lnbf's actually have 2 elements in them (hor. vert. configuration)? This is all I can figure since I could only get one polarity and not the other until I piped them both through a splitter. Now, life is good! I appreciate all of the support that everyone has given me! ;) :popcorn :popcorn

doug900 said:
I think this closes the chapter. I went out to the dish yesterday, since the wind was causing me to lose my already weak signal. I spun the lnbf clockwise and and checked several times until I was happy and was able to get horizontal and verticle signals in the upper 70's with good quality numbers. Since I previously hooked up both feeds to my single receiver input via power passive splitter, naturally both elements moved in a linear fashion, and it showed on the signal meter. I guess this is where I will leave it. Does anybody know if the single feed lnbf's actually have 2 elements in them (hor. vert. configuration)? This is all I can figure since I could only get one polarity and not the other until I piped them both through a splitter. Now, life is good! I appreciate all of the support that everyone has given me! ;) :popcorn :popcorn

Yes single output LNBFs have 2 probes. 1 for H and 1 for V. Congrats on getting it working! :)

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Eurosport, Live and learn, right? Or, rekindle the old days into the digital era! ;)

Is there any 4dtv FTA, or if not, what kind of programming is available? I may venture down that road next. I'l split off another receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)