PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
Anyone own a DSR4200V DCII receiver?

Questions:

1) Is it a good receiver?

2) Can it receiver free in the clear DCII channels?

3) Would I be better off buying a used DSR4500 instead?

Thank you guys!

Dave

I have one on it's way that I got cheap on eBay. It does all the symbol rates for DCII channels unlike a DSR-410 that only does two. I'll know more when it gets here and I play with it some! See this page:DSR4200-info :)

When I did my research for a commercial receiver that was somewhat user friendly, the ones that were recommended was the DSR 4800 or 4810 or the Digitran 7150T or a DSR 4402x, I never ended up purchasing one but these were the best ones.

I have one on it's way that I got cheap on eBay. It does all the symbol rates for DCII channels unlike a DSR-410 that only does two. I'll know more when it gets here and I play with it some! See this page:DSR4200-info :)

Thank you! Did the one you bought come with a remote control? I believe one is needed to gain access to the menus. Of course I could be wrong.

Yes, it did. You need the "time" button, on the remote, to get into some of the menus. Like instead of "enter". I'll know more after it gets here, though!:D

I would say that the 4200V has seen its better days (with all the new digicipher signals appearing in the arc either being 29.27 combo or using DVB-S2).

If you want symbol rates up to 19.51 combo (less the 11.71 SR) or 29.27 split and the video profile is 4:2:0, a 4200V is fine.

there are still quite a few signals the 4200V will receive in the North American arc, however. You will need a remote to be able to access the "hidden" setup menus to set signal parameters and the receiver loads one VCT at a time (factory resets are quite common unless you tune and stay on one particular DC2 signal).

The DSR 4200V I am wanting to buy doesn't come with a remote, but is really cheap and works good. Could the same remote used for other DCII receivers work with the 4200V?

I do know that an old Primestar remote works a DSR-920 'cause that's the only remote I have for it! The Primestar remote also works my DSR-410, so I believe all the GI/Motorola digicipher units could be controlled by each others' remotes. The only trouble you may run into, is if the original 4DTV remote doesn't have a "Time" button (or it's equivalent) you may not be able to fully operate the DSR-4200.

I believe all the GI/Motorola digicipher units could be controlled by each others' remotes. The only trouble you may run into, is if the original 4DTV remote doesn't have a "Time" button (or it's equivalent) you may not be able to fully operate the DSR-4200.

yes, Motorola units seem to use about the same remote. My 4200V remote can work my 2200 or my Primestar receiver and the 2200 or Primestar remotes work my 4200V. I haven't tried the DSR-905 remote to see if it controls my 4200V, but it would be no shocker if it works.

The "time" button is known by different names on some of the remotes (it might be a "buy" or some other key) but when the right key is pressed, it will function as the key that is needed to access installation mode.

DSR-4200V Update...

Got my 4200 today. Connected it to my 1.2m P* with OEM LNB (it has 2 lnb inputs- H/V -so I can fully utilize the P* LNB!) Did a reset, entered frequency, symbol rate,etc. Unit downloaded the GPB (Georgia Public Broadcasting) channel maps on AMC-3 almost instantly and my kids are watching "Arthur" as I type this....It also gets all the GPB subchannels that my 4DTV does not!:eek: In a nutshell ...very satisfied for $22! Now to find other DCII signals. ...After my kids watch for a while!:D:up

universal remote?

Hi,

You may find something useful at hifi-remote dot com slash forums. It' a website dedicated to the JP-1 style of universal remotes. Mostly the "One For All" brand. There is A LOT of info including device files for just about any electronic device that you can think of. Maybe it will be of use to you.

Hope this helps

P.S. Would have included an actual url but I can't yet:mad:
Also the device files mentioned above are not super secret proprietary files i.e. illegal. Just files for infra-red remote controls to help you program your universal remote to control what-ever.

which remote did you end up using? did it come with one after all or which model GI/Motorola remote are you using?
The 4200 came with it's own remote. This remote also controls my 920 and 410.:eek: ...GI/Motorola remote control inter-compatibility: confirmed!:D

And one more thing... the 4200 will control a polarotor. I have all LNBF's on my dishes, but it will run a servo if needed. :D:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mount LNBF to BUD feed horn

Primestar Dish/Equipment question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)