Status
Please reply by conversation.

upnatm

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 22, 2009
North-East Lake Superior
Hi All.

I recently found a 3 year old thread that touched on the "4DTV DSR905 Sidecar". This got me
interested in the one I've got.

I was given the DSR905, a GI-2750R (VCII) receiver, AND the awesome 10 foot "Perfect-Ten" mesh dish that I've been using since last summer. The previous owner had been using all of this for subscriptions, until he decided to switch to pizza about 16 months ago.

I'm curious as to the 905 being able to pull in any channels nowadays. I understand it can be
slaved to a newer STB (my AZ P-HD, hopefully) in order to pick up fixed-key and zero-key channels, or if desired, subscribe to 4DTV.

I just brought the 905 in from storage and she powers up nicely. I haven't hooked it up to my AZ yet.

Is there anything I should know first? Battery replacement procedure?
Any sats to avoid that might cause an "undesired" firmware update or MAP issue?

I really have no idea how to safely "play" with this piece, and I don't want to brick it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention that I'm using a DMX-741 C/Ku LNBF on my 10' dish.

Cheers!

Last edited:
In addition to reading the manual, I recall some threads over in the 4Dtv forum about the 905's.
4DTV DISCUSSION
Scroll through or search - should find plenty of info.

While it made sense to slave 'em when there were many satellites carrying 4D subscription shows, today I think if you want to subscribe it, just hook a dedicated 6'er and aim at the one hot bird. - :up

Thanks Guys.

I've just been browsing the links you all posted, lots of good reading in them!

As suggested, I think I'll read a whole bunch first, before re-posting in the 4DTV section.

Thanks again. Cheers.

The 905 is basically a 922 without the option to move a dish. That is what it was designed for (to be added to a C-Band analog receiver)

Would work fine on W5

Dsr905's are safe on any Bird (canada ku) The other dsr 92x 4dtv's will overload on ku canada stuff and require a master reset....

BTW just info for all... Any 4DTV that has been bricked can be pointed at Anik without overflowing the TDT also. Tested this the other day with a bricked 920. Even though it got Shaws birds and channels nothing would open. Even FP or ZK. I heard that something has changed at Shaw and you need the 4128 EMM lock for anything now. My 405 still does FP and ZK it has 4128.

Last edited:
Oh, I see we've been moved. Sorry Iceberg, about starting in the wrong spot.

Well, I hooked the 905 to loop on the AZ, and found only 1 open channel, RRTv on W1 (103w).
Also a few audio-only on G0 (I think?), must've been radio.
I even managed to freeze the thing once, I was on the wrong sat while checking through channels. The
only cure was to unplug it.

Wow, what a lot of remote juggling! ---TV input, G-Box, AZ, 905, back and forth, back and forth!

Funny thing, the instructions say to connect the C-Band co-ax to the C/H terminal on the 905
("H" = horizontal), but the 905 would only "see" when the AZ was set to a vertical TP.

I might sit and piddle with it again, later. It's been kind of windy here lately, and the dish still needs
new bushings in it's polar axis.

So far, it doesn't look like I'll get much use out of the 905, unless I look into going with a subscription.
The prices don't look too bad, compared to the pizza providers.

Cheers!

upnatm said:
Oh, I see we've been moved. Sorry Iceberg, about starting in the wrong spot.

Well, I hooked the 905 to loop on the AZ, and found only 1 open channel, RRTv on W1 (103w).
Also a few audio-only on G0 (I think?), must've been radio.
I even managed to freeze the thing once, I was on the wrong sat while checking through channels. The
only cure was to unplug it.

Wow, what a lot of remote juggling! ---TV input, G-Box, AZ, 905, back and forth, back and forth!

Funny thing, the instructions say to connect the C-Band co-ax to the C/H terminal on the 905
("H" = horizontal), but the 905 would only "see" when the AZ was set to a vertical TP.

I might sit and piddle with it again, later. It's been kind of windy here lately, and the dish still needs
new bushings in it's polar axis.

So far, it doesn't look like I'll get much use out of the 905, unless I look into going with a subscription.
The prices don't look too bad, compared to the pizza providers.

Cheers!

The h/v thing can be fixed in the 905 setup I believe, LNB rotation, flip the setting. I have this on my 922 but I don't have a 905 so can't verify.

I hooked up a 920 to a ku LNBF for Anik the other day to load the *choice maps and needed to use rotate 90° to get the lnbf to work.

I hooked up a 920 to a ku LNBF for Anik the other day to load the *choice maps and needed to use rotate 90° to get the lnbf to work.

Are there any open channels on any of the Can. satellites that can be found with the dsr905? 922? What would be the best receiver to get all of the DC2 ones?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts