DTV Connection kit?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Carta

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2006
Northeast PA
I read that I can get free movies, Pandora and other stuff free. I have a MAC wireless router (Express and Extreme) to create Wifi.. And also DSL...I guess all I need is the Connection kit... Is it worth the $80? Any other info would be helpful... Thx

ps ... I also have HDDVR

If you have MRV you can order the "wireless" version directly from D* for $32. This unit can be connected either wired or wireless. If you don't have MRV you don't need the professional installation. Where people keep coming up with the $80 number is a mystery to me.

Bob, I have one receiver w/ an HDMI splitter to connect to another tv.....No MRV... Don't need..... D* says the kit costs $79.99...That's where the $80 comes into play...And I don't need pro installation.... This will be "wireless"....

Not trying to highjack the thread, i just have a question about the internet connection.

Once the internet connection is set up, when ordering movies, do they download via the internet connection or from satellite to the receiver?

35LKSA said:
Not trying to highjack the thread, i just have a question about the internet connection.

Once the internet connection is set up, when ordering movies, do they download via the internet connection or from satellite to the receiver?

Internet.

Carta just hardwire a cat 6 network cable from router to sat box. If you cant do then. Get 2 sling links and transfer data connection via home electrical wires.

Bob, I have one receiver w/ an HDMI splitter to connect to another tv.....No MRV... Don't need..... D* says the kit costs $79.99...That's where the $80 comes into play...And I don't need pro installation.... This will be "wireless"....
You must be talking with a customer service person. Go on to your D* internet account, change the search selection to products, enter "cinema Connection Kit". From the list select the "My Equipment: Add Kits & Equipment". On that page you have to log in again. You should see your options for Cinema Connection Kit. Select the "wireless" one. That one is $25 plus $7 shipping.

You must be talking with a customer service person. Go on to your D* internet account, change the search selection to products, enter "cinema Connection Kit". From the list select the "My Equipment: Add Kits & Equipment". On that page you have to log in again. You should see your options for Cinema Connection Kit. Select the "wireless" one. That one is $25 plus $7 shipping.
====================================
Bob, I followed your instructions...Once I click "Add kits & equip."; It tells me to call D* to order equip...

====================================
Bob, I followed your instructions...Once I click "Add kits & equip."; It tells me to call D* to order equip...
=================================
I found my error... I already had wireless kit "in cart" ....So, I removed it from cart and followed your instructions again......I located "Wireless kit"........Price: $79.99... Oh well!....
But back to my original question.... Is it worth $80?

=================================
I found my error... I already had wireless kit "in cart" ....So, I removed it from cart and followed your instructions again......I located "Wireless kit"........Price: $79.99... Oh well!....
But back to my original question.... Is it worth $80?
Wow. Interesting! I guess D* hits those who do not have MRV with a totally different price on the wireless unit. My cost is $25 plus shipping. Sorry for any confusion. I will keep this in mind on future posts. (I also see why ebay sellers have a similar price (around $80) for the wireless unit.)

As for the "Is it worth it?", it isn't for me. But, you can test it for yourself. Get a length of cat-5 cable you can run from your router to your HDDVR. Get things working and look at the features that you get with on-demand. All the D* shows you can download come with expiration dates so you want to download them when you are ready to watch. The other stuff; Pandora, You-tube, etc I find to be sort of junky. But, you are the only one who can evaluate whether or not it is worth it.

Again, sorry for any confusion. For $32 bucks I would give it a try. For $80 I would test it with a hardwired connection to see if I really want what is there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.