DTv recivers will not recognize triple lnb dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bjanice44

Original poster
Feb 1, 2005
I recently purchased a Sony 50" HDTV. Before this purchase I had standard DTV service in two rooms with 2 hughes recievers (one in bedroom and one in LR) and a standard 18" round dish on the roof.
Not wanting to shell out the $400 for the DTV installation of a reciever and the triple LNB dish, I decided to do it piecemeal. I purchased a Samsung SIR-TS160 from Best Buy. I hooked it up and activated it with DTV. I did this so I could use the "off-air" capability to pick up HDTV broadcasts for the time being, until I was ready to install the triple LNB and subscribe to the DTV HD package. My townhome is 2 years old.

Here is my problem. Having gotten spoiled watching off air HD broadcasts, I got the itch to add the Triple LNB dish. I went to Best buy and bought the Funai Triple LNB dish. I went up on the roof and installed it according to the instructions. I set the tilt, elevation, and azimuth (using a compass). I plumed the mast etc........ I used the same spot as the 18" dish, which seemed to have the proper clearance. It took me a total of 30 minutes to hook up the dish and I have spent the last two days trying to figure out why it will not work.

Neither one of the recievers (in bedroom =Hughes standard DTV reciever, or the Samsung HD) will recognize the dish. I did not mess with the wiring at all and everything seems fine with that. All connections are sound, etc..

Specifically on the Samsung, I set the dish type to Oval 3 then it tries to find satellites.. always comes back as "failed" same. On the hughes... same thing. The auto setup fails. I tried the autodetect on the Samsung.. autodetect failed. It is almost like neither reciever recognizes that there is a satellite dish installed.

I have no idea how to diagnose the problem since the troubleshooting for both the dish and recievers are inept. I do not know if the dish is bad, the wiring in my walls is the wrong type, or the reciever is bad (i should point out that the Samsung worked fine with the 18" round dish).

Can anyone help with any suggestions? It seems like something simple, but DTV cannot help and I want to avoid calling an installer if I do not have to.

Thanks!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts