DTV signal boost after Feb?

Hampton80

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 29, 2007
Rochester, Michigan
Are you expecting the local networks in your area to boost their DTV signal strength in Februauy '09? I would think that they are partitioning their current resources right now between Analog and Digital signals. But come Feb, all signal strength would be shifted over to DTV. Any thoughts or ideas? Or am I just assuming too much here?

For many stations a relative signal boost will come from moving down to a lower frequency. The crowding of the VHF band will still be an issue and its impacts more problematic so I'm doubtful that they'll allow them to pump up the signal very much.

I expect better signals when my locals move the Dtv antenna's up the pole from there current lower position on the towers to up to (or near) the top of the tower. Also, 2 of my locals say they are already @ full power and 2 will power up more, but how much more is the ????

I'm not sure what's going to happen to my OTA reception come Feb 2009.

Right now all the channels are UHF, and I have a nice 4228 UHF antenna, and it gets everything. So all good for now. I've had this setup for a while now, back when all the digitals were UHF.

Now come Feb 2009. Channels 7, 9, 11, and 13 all move back to upper VHF (from their current UHF). Reports on the internet say the 4228 actually does ok at upper VHF. So it may work, but it may not. So I may need something like YA-1713 and a UHF/VHF antenna joiner to get this setup to work.

Such a hassle. This antenna setup has been working great for me since the early days of Voom, but because of the frequency switch who knows how much longer it will work out.

-John

I've read on AVS that a lot of stations are filing requests to increase power, seems the FCC recently started accepting requests for maximizing power.

Now come Feb 2009. Channels 7, 9, 11, and 13 all move back to upper VHF (from their current UHF). Reports on the internet say the 4228 actually does ok at upper VHF. So it may work, but it may not. So I may need something like YA-1713 and a UHF/VHF antenna joiner to get this setup to work.

See how analog 7-13 look, if the are relatively clear then you should be fine

I hope they boost the power of the New York stations come February. Although I can get stations like 9 and 11 which I could not get a couple of months ago I can still only get at most 4 out of 5 bars. Most of the time it is 3 yellow bars and then I get dropouts all the time.

I hope all of the TV stations boost their signal strength. Road trips and watching some digital TV during a break is a hassle. When taking a break I would like to just turn the TV on and maybe move the antenna a little to get a good enough signal.

There was a thread on this a few months ago. I don't recall if it was on this site or some other. IIRC, somebody did some research and determined that a large majority of stations would not be increasing power. There was some speculation about them only putting out enough power to "make it look good" and that they really only saw their bread being buttered by cable and satellite. Very little of their market was actually OTA.

Seems shortsighted, if true. Their business plan is not guaranteed for them- if they don't maintain reasonably high levels of OTA viewership, why should the government (we) allow them to keep using frequencies that might be put to better use?

There was a thread on this a few months ago. I don't recall if it was on this site or some other. IIRC, somebody did some research and determined that a large majority of stations would not be increasing power. There was some speculation about them only putting out enough power to "make it look good" and that they really only saw their bread being buttered by cable and satellite. Very little of their market was actually OTA.

Seems shortsighted, if true. Their business plan is not guaranteed for them- if they don't maintain reasonably high levels of OTA viewership, why should the government (we) allow them to keep using frequencies that might be put to better use?

I dont understand the "make it look good" comment digital TV is either on or off.

I dont think many OTA TV stations will shut down due to "ratings" and just feed pay TV services like some local cable access channel. What about the emergency alert system?. After the analog TV shut down the OTA TV stations should adjust their RF power so they have the same viewership as before.

Also, Pay TV broadcast media is still a luxury for most people.

I dont understand the "make it look good" comment digital TV is either on or off.

I dont think many OTA TV stations will shut down due to "ratings" and just feed pay TV services like some local cable access channel. What about the emergency alert system?. After the analog TV shut down the OTA TV stations should adjust their RF power so they have the same viewership as before.

Also, Pay TV broadcast media is still a luxury for most people.

By "make it good" I was referring to them going thru the motions that they were an OTA entity. In fact, a large majority of their viewers don't see them OTA- they see them via cable or satellite. So there is an incentive to minimize money spent on sending out an OTA signal that relatively few of their customers see.

I don't think they will shut down either, not without a fight. Doubtful that an individual station could survive by peddling it's programming to cable and satcos. There are other venues for emergency alerts, especially since so few are actually reached OTA.

They are supposed to be reaching about the same number of viewers today with that digital signal as their analog signal. Not saying they are, but they're "supposed" to be close.

The government has determined that only 15% of the households in the US get their TV via OTA only. And maybe roughly the same number have secondary TVs relying on OTA. So most people ARE paying for TV reception.

I, personally, hope the stations will in fact boost their signals beyond what they are today. I use OTA at least twice a week.

WORSE NEWS

At least, bad news for those of us near DC. The TVFool shows WJLA (ABC) channel 7 dropping their power from 324 to 30 kW. And WUSA (CBS) channel 9 dropping from 638.16 to 12.6 kW.

Really odd, since WHUT, WDCA and WTTG are all going to 1,000 kW. WRC (NBC) stays at 813 & WETA stays at 56.37 kW. WETA needs more power now- I can only imagine how miserable reception will become for 7 & 9 after the transition.

I hope these stations really plan on higher power, but I don't see it at the FCC.

You might be assuming too much. Here in Washington DC, WETA (PBS) and WUSA (CBS) have both stated they are currently broadcasting their digital signals at full strength. In my opinion something needs to change by February, as the digital signals are way too quirky and unreliable.

Yes, it is going to be a debacle.

I thought the whole reason for going digital was to reclaim frequencies for other use.

If alot of channels are moving back to VHF, in digital at high power, what are we really saving or doing with this whole thing?

At least, bad news for those of us near DC. The TVFool shows WJLA (ABC) channel 7 dropping their power from 324 to 30 kW. And WUSA (CBS) channel 9 dropping from 638.16 to 12.6 kW.
I'm hoping Channel 9 will apply for the same 30kw power level that Channel 7 is getting. 30kw on VHF is pretty good. That should get their signal out 80-100 miles; depending on terrain. WWPX in Martinsburg, WV is currently on VHF-12 with 23kw, and their signal is still quite receivable even here in Arlington, VA with no pre-amp.(65 miles out)

I'm not sure what's going to happen to my OTA reception come Feb 2009.

Right now all the channels are UHF, and I have a nice 4228 UHF antenna, and it gets everything. So all good for now. I've had this setup for a while now, back when all the digitals were UHF.

Such a hassle. This antenna setup has been working great for me since the early days of Voom, but because of the frequency switch who knows how much longer it will work out.

-John

Our channels 7, 11, and 13 are going back to VHF here in NYC and I can get the NTSC signals fine with a 4228 so I'm asuming I'll be able to get the digitals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts