DTV SWM Installation With Line Of Sight Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lcda4

Original poster
Oct 22, 2008
I have a standard DTV dish that handles 2 DTV Tivos and 2 DTV DVRs one of which is being upgraded to an HD DVR. An installer and his supervisor had come out to install the new HD dish. After they took their readings from my roof the supervisor told me that I couldn't receive a HD signal because the line of sight window was too small. He explained further by telling me that I am currently receiving a signal from only 1 satellite while HD requires the feed from 5 satellites. While the techs were discussing the situation further with each other and someone on the phone I was thinking about Verizon's Fios which is available in my area. That was when the supervisor came back to me and said that I was able to get a HD signal by way of a SWM setup. He said that instead of a 5 satellite feed I wiil be receiving only 3 which would accomodate my small window. I asked the supervisor if the quality of the picture and/or sound would go down in any way and he said the only thing I would lose are the Spanish and International Channels which I don't need anyway. I also found out that the SWM dish uses single lines that are split for each receiver which concerned me because I have 4 DVRs. I did find out from this website that others with a similar DTV SWM DVR setup had sucessful installations so I am not worried about this subject.

Because the installer did not have the equipment and was not qualified to do the SWM setup I was rescheduled for the installation on Thursday. I don't have much time because I have to agree to a two year contract so I'm trying to reach out for more facts and for a second opinion.

Also, what is considered to be an acceptable signal strength for HD by DTV's standard? Currently I am receiving a signal of 93% & 94%

Thank you in advance for your much needed help, Luke

You will be receiving signals from the 99, 101 & 103. Acceptable signals & the 'best they can get' are two different things; one governed by laziness/schedule & the other by quality. If your LOS is clear for these birds I would think your signal strength would peak around 95 & the low side around 80. DTV requires 70 for an acceptable install but all this does is bring rain/snow fade into your life quicker. Maybe, at the end of the day that is all your LOS can produce but I would ask that they spend a little more time peaking these signals if they come in low. Pay close attention to what/how they align the dish & maybe you can make your own adjustments down the line to improve the quality. Some receivers used to show lower signal readings on the receivers than what was actually obtained but I think the newer software has corrected this. I've seen installs done perfectly with everything near 100.

My bullseye leveler has my alignment slightly off but I get the following:

101 - 94
110 - 85
119 - 92
103s - 88
103c - 96
99s - 80
99c - 90

If I wasn't working with a cement chimney mount I would remove & fix the alignment & obtain higher readings. I could also try adjusting the 119 but since it has no 'fine tune' adjustment it's a pain in the azz.

SWM doesn't change the PQ at all, it may increase your number reading a tad since its a powered system.

SWM does allow you to only have 1 line to function your DVR's, so a 1x8 SWM splitter will properly operate your 4 DVR's. I wouldn't concern yourself too much over the obvious competence issue that arised, but at least they were honest with you about it, verses hacking your house up.

SWM is the latest and greatest technology from D* and if you have R15's you may get a R22/R16 upgrade to make them compatible. The down side is a SWM LNB setup can only operate 8 tuners max, so if you add a 5th DVR you would have to self-purchase a SWMultiswitch8 and even then it only gives you 11 tuners, but can be stacked to provide more., but again there is a cost to you.

I am not sure if the r10 (tivo) you have would work with the SWM LNB either (I doubt it) so if you have that Sups number I would call him and probably D* to see about getting your "older" equipment updated. Worst case if you go this route is you would have a 2nd work order which they can do at the same time.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts