This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DTVAHKaKu LNBF

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvhawaii

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
What I have is a DirecTV Alaska Hawaii Ka/Ku Low Noise Amplifier/Blockdownconverter/Feed which was purpose made to work with a 1.2m offset reflector mfgd. by the same Co.
I need to modify it to work with a 2.4m offset reflector with a different f/D ratio.
I wrote to Eagle/PBI, the mfgrs., but have not received a reply, so I thought I'd just copy/paste the letter and see what
folks here think.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have successfully used your DirecTV Alaska/Hawaii Ka/Ku LNBF on a variety of reflectors (Prodelin 1.2 and 1.8m) with satisfactory results, and now I need to fit it to an Andrews 2.4m reflector.
Appx. 4 years ago, I installed Ku LNBs at 101/110/119 (DirecTV) on this antenna. It was boresighted on 110 and I used a spectrum analyzer to find the focal points of 101/119 and attached those LNBs to a bracket I fabricated that was bent to the correct "tilt" angle which worked great.
Now that the Ka birds are being used, I need another solution in order to get HD into this SportsBar and there is a dearth of solutions available, especially with the requirement of switch outputs to be used with a SWM 16.
I estimate the new focal points for 99/103 to be around 2.6 inches from the 101, but I'll locate these empirically, exactly.
What I was planning on doing was to use a fine-kerf hacksaw and separating the Ka feeds down to 1/2 in. from the flange which screws to the LNB, then cutting them off.
Some Dremel tool grinding, etc. if needed to get both ends round.
Now all I need is a method to "extend" the end of the Ka feed in order to get the RF EM field into the remaining 1/2 in. tube of the feed attached to the LNB input.<grin>
Affix a WR-42 flange to both ends and use flexible waveguide? Bent copper tubing?

[snip]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Both the Ka and Ku feeds are 4 1/32" from throat to LNB opening.
Ka is from 18.3-18.8GHz and from 19.7-20.2GHz. Ku is from 12.2 to 12.7GHz and is Circular Polarized as is (I believe) Ka.

Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to look at the pics and comment here.
--Michael
PHTO0005 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Status
Please reply by conversation.