DTVPAL DVR NO LONGER PRE-ORDER

They obviously haven't updated their site; but the folks at echostar at CES said it was shipping pretty much as the orders came in.

I ordered mine last Thursday, got it Tuesday morning. :)

Getting used to its 'quirks' now. It did take an update as soon as I hooked up a network connection to it.

I can easily see the future having an option to subscribe to a premium guide service, as the guide info is extremely limited in many parts of the country.

Anybody know of a way to force guide updates? ....or is the unit already constantly checking for new guide info in the background?

P.S. I also had no problem changing the remote address so as to not conflict with my Dish ird's. Sure didn't see this addressed in the DTVPal DVR's manual though.

Anybody know of a way to force guide updates? ....or is the unit already constantly checking for new guide info in the background?

Kinda found the answer myself.
To force a guide update:
1.) Press 'Menu' on remote.
2.) Select '3' Setup.
3.) Select '7' Updates.
4.) Then just adjust the 'Start time' to a time that is in one to two minutes from the current time. (make sure Updates are 'Enabled')

Then simply wait for the unit to go into 'countdown mode', this is a screen that informs you that the unit will be shutting down and restarting within 10 seconds.
After the unit starts back up again, it immediately begins a guide download.

Don't forget to to go back and reset the time of updates if desired.

Search keywords: dtvpal dtvpaldvr

Claude at the dish store got some in recently, you mght check there

I got 2 in the other week, have not put them on the site yet as I do not know if this is an item we plan on stocking after I got stuck with about 100 or so DTV Pals last June that nobody wanted.

What is disturbing about the whole digital transition is that the only people getting the coupons and who want converter boxes are the ones who already have a digital TV solution and really don't need the converter boxes.

Claude G.

The DTVPal is taking a hammering on AVSForum due to glitches and bugs. In fact, they said that Dish had pulled the product from the market temporarily due to problems.

Who knows if that's the case or not.

The DTVPal is taking a hammering on AVSForum due to glitches and bugs. In fact, they said that Dish had pulled the product from the market temporarily due to problems.

Who knows if that's the case or not.

Note this is the DTVPal DVR, a completely different beast then the DTVPal.

Isn't that typical of DISH products? I have 2 DTVPALs and both have a glitch locking up about once a month, other than that I love em.

Can anyone recommend a DVR that records off the air? I am really interested in something that is like the DTVPAL DVR. I am probably going to cancel Dish and I need something a DVR to record stuff when I'm in school or away.

Can anyone recommend a DVR that records off the air? I am really interested in something that is like the DTVPAL DVR. I am probably going to cancel Dish and I need something a DVR to record stuff when I'm in school or away.

tivo for digital stations, analog as you know is ending.

Yeah I really want a DTV Pal DVR as well because I can't handle paying $65/month anymore for Dish that I never watch. I only watch locals and download everything else on my xbox for my kids.

Yeah I noticed the only shows I record are off the air and music videos from Telehit. I think I might just have locals but even thats a lot just for locals. -_-

This is an estimate
6 for locals
6 for dvr
6 for dish home protection plan
5 for not having HD

That's 23 dollars!

The only relatively inexpensive standalone unit is the Dish DVR Pal. DishDepot did have some in stock. I don't know whether that's still the case or not. There's the Moxi HD recorder but it's $800 iirc.

If you have a PC running Vista Premium, you can make your own OTA DVR by adding a tuner card/device. The Hauppauge 2250 is a 2 ATSC tuner card that uses an express X1 slot. Dvido/Fusion also has a 2 ATSC tuner express card. Single ATSC tuners can be found for either the X1 express slot, PCI slots or USB ports. Beyond TV and Sage are other software packages for managing and recording OTA recordings. Most tuner cards come with recording software but it usually isn't very good compared to Vista Media Center, Beyond TV or Sage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts