dual c-band feed horns are elusive.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfrey

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 21, 2009
BC
I actually had a very difficult time resourcing a C-band dual feed horn. They seem to be on the "endangered species list" or just part of a very niche market.

All the reasonably priced vendors were either 'out of stock', didn't get back to me, or just didn't carry such an item.

First search on FleaBay resulted in absolutely zilch, I spent literally months searching. Then I changed my search string to just 'c-band' and sifted through that for an hour. Voila...
Scored on eBay and got a old chaparral dual feed for $10.50
It proved to me that perseverance pays off.
(Thanks to much reading on satelliteguys forums, and lots of feed back from members, I've almost got all the parts for my spring project together)

congratulations. they perform very well. if you google for the chapparal part number and scour to about page 15 there are still a few places they can be had for about 60 bucks new. some places ask as high a 200 bucks for them. you got a deal.

crackt out,.

I know Roger @ rps use to have boxes of used feeds real cheap, my cousin ordered some used parts from one of there dealers out west in bc, not sure what the name of the place is but he got a c/ku feed with lnb's for dirt cheap, and a refurb von weise.

When ya mentioned a dual C-band feed, I thought you were talking about one like this from Impakt Products.
Stogie is using one and has written about it.
At $50, it's pretty reasonable

Another common dual C-band feed is the one from Chaparral.
It goes for around $70 new, if you shop around.

The main question is what sort of money you need/want to put into the LNBs to go on it.?
For that argument, I direct you to existing threads on the subject.

If I misunderstood, and what you really wanted was a C & Ku feed with a servo as shown above, then my apologies. ;)
I didn't see a photo nor part number.

I would have "loved" to have gotten one from Impakt but they were all sold out of the $50 dual feed. I checked back last week and they were still out of stock and no ETA.
Living in BC, shipping cost becomes a concern. Some vendors only ship UPS or FedX and for us Canadians that can become frightfully expensive with cross border orders.
Impakt was nice enough to allow a USPS shipment but they are out of stock on the item.

I have 2 X Norsat 8515's that I got off eBay for $50 each, the vendor was recommended by someone in the forum.
All I really require now is a power insert for the Vertical polarity, I already have a Zinwell SAM-3402 muti-switch.
So I'm getting closer to having all the necessary pieces.

I have a C & Ku feed with servo from 1995 but have no use for it. If someone needs one I got one.

I just re-read your post and see that you have it.
....Scored on eBay and got a old chaparral dual feed for $10.50...
I got a C-only Chaparral in trade a few months ago for a Ck1 (or maybe it was a DMX-741).
Came with two old Cal Amp LNBs
... and a colony of ants! ;)
The owner sprayed it down with Raid I guess, and killed whatever he saw.
Then he wrapped it in plastic and more died in transit from the fumes.
However, out of the 200+ that arrived, some were still staggering around! :rolleyes:

He'd probably had a heck of a time getting it running, so the new-in-box CK-1 was a wise choice for him.
I haven't decided yet if the Chaparral ortho was a wise choice for me. :D

edit:
As for multiswitch, I still like the WNC 4x8 and the mod Pendragon described.
See his thread for my additional comments on price and availability.

Last edited:
So what you're saying is that if I asked nicely I could have gotten the Chaparral ortho off you for $10.50 :)

The WNC 4X8 mod looks like a good route to take(thanks for the tip and thanks to pendragon for the details). I'm quite fortunate that my dish is
7 or 8Feet away from my crawl space, an easy place one could setup a powered multi-switch.

I just re-read your post and see that you have it.
I got a C-only Chaparral in trade a few months ago for a Ck1 (or maybe it was a DMX-741).
Came with two old Cal Amp LNBs
... and a colony of ants! ;)
The owner sprayed it down with Raid I guess, and killed whatever he saw.
Then he wrapped it in plastic and more died in transit from the fumes.
However, out of the 200+ that arrived, some were still staggering around! :rolleyes:

He'd probably had a heck of a time getting it running, so the new-in-box CK-1 was a wise choice for him.
I haven't decided yet if the Chaparral ortho was a wise choice for me. :D

edit:
As for multiswitch, I still like the WNC 4x8 and the mod Pendragon described.
See his thread for my additional comments on price and availability.

the cup is half FULL !

What I'm saying is that good things come to those who are actively looking for 'em, and have patience.
Your deal is certainly a fine one. Mine isn't bad.
Truckracer did real good, as posted in another thread:
i paid 75.00 off ebay for a used bullseye with two norsat PLL lnbs and two old norsat 8000 series c band lnbs (i replaced with 8515's).

Just gotta be paying attention when the good stuff walks by ya! - :cool:

Knowing what the 'good stuff is' is what makes forums like this invaluable. And the cup is always half full.

Polarotor CHAP parts

I would have "loved" to have gotten one from Impakt but they were all sold out of the $50 dual feed. I checked back last week and they were still out of stock and no ETA.
Living in BC, shipping cost becomes a concern. Some vendors only ship UPS or FedX and for us Canadians that can become frightfully expensive with cross border orders.
Impakt was nice enough to allow a USPS shipment but they are out of stock on the item.

I have 2 X Norsat 8515's that I got off eBay for $50 each, the vendor was recommended by someone in the forum.
All I really require now is a power insert for the Vertical polarity, I already have a Zinwell SAM-3402 muti-switch.
So I'm getting closer to having all the necessary pieces.

I have a C & Ku feed with servo from 1995 but have no use for it. If someone needs one I got one.

Hello, comfrey, few days ago I'was looking for some chaparr polarotor I , parts like the litle servo motor that is inside the feedhorn, fortunatelly the CHAP guys, ruting me to an distributor;
Talk to: Barney Foumerat at: Volunteer Satellite Dist. 3052 Parson Bend Rd, Columbia TN. 38407, TEL: 800-726-1298.
any way I must build an polarotor controller a litle box to control the servo litle motor, it consist on a simple circuit with a LM556 dual timer an a few resistors, caps, and two pots, put 5 volts on the red wire, the pulses on the white, and the ground on the black wires.
I hope this info are serviceable to yours projects on the "C" Bands, because the news digital FTA receiver no one company put any polarrotor controllers inside their receivers, unlike the olds analogs receivers all brand was coming with polarotor controlers inside the boxes, ( more 20 years ago )
Best wishes on the Chrystmas and new Years: Electson, from NortWest Mexico.)

Thanks electson,
The old servo motor and single feed horn worked great with my analog system back in the day.
I currently use a BSC421 c-band LNBF (which uses the 13 and 18 volts to switch polarity)

I wanted to setup an orthomode feed horn to get the most out of my dish, just a project for myself.

Let us know how your project goes and how you like it.

All the best in the new year!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)