Dual Hopper Tuner Question

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Ok, here is what the HWS shows:

IMG_20130329_115622_644_zps3a1a0de8.jpg

Why is it 7 tuners and 1 OTA? I just figured with two hoppers its be 6 and 1 OTA or 6 and two OTA (both hoppers are connected to OTA antennas).

thanks.

You are only looking a one Hopper. When a network channel is tuned in, all other network channels are available for VIEWING....like PTAT but no recording. The PIP is just a random channel for PIP, it is not being used by a tuner. So in reality, THAT Hopper has 3 tuners and one OTA for recording.

Yep, it is showing you "PTAT" (out of prime time) on one tuner, Dish 101 on one, an open sat tuner, and the OTA tuner. As Kab said, this is only showing you the tuners on one hopper. You can not see (as far as I know) the tuners on one hopper from the other.

Those are the "Big Four" AKA PTAT. It's where you can view those channels at any time while using only 1 tuner. Hopper tuners don't integrate with each other.

What is weird is the "Big Four" don't always show up in the TV Services menu. Like in your pic they show up even though you're not even watching one of them. Before, they would only show up if you tuned into one of the "Big Four." Then, other times, at least on my Hoppers, they don't show up until I tune in to one of them one day, then the next they just show up regardless.

Ah, OK, I forgot they were gonna make it were you could veiw them at anytime only using one tuner for live tv. Makes sense now.

Got both hoppers and OTA up and running well, and on moca and broadband. Pretty cool.

Well, I can say two Hoppers with two OTA modules is pretty damn sweet. My only wishlist items would be:

1. Combine the playlist of both hoppers, or give me the option. Switching from one to another in the DVR menu is not high on WAF.
  2. Stop resetting my favorites every night
  3. Allow me to make oldest first in DVR playlist menu, not newest first (sort by date)

I miss 1 and 3 from Direct's Whole Home service for sure, but overall I like the dual Hopper setup.

I think they put the Big 4 on the red button as a concession to the networks for auto-hop.
Thus they can say we put right up front on the channels for the user to select.
-Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)