This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Dual orthomode feed on a deep dish mod

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pendragon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 13, 2008
I've been running an ADL dual orthomode feed for the past few months on my 3 m Winegard Pinnacle. The f/D of this dish is 0.278, which is great for pulling in low SNRs, but unfortunately the ADL orthomode is a poor match out of the box. Patriot now sells this model, and according to their website, the feed is supposed to work over a f/D range of 0.300-0.365. I did some rough calculations a few months back, and the low end of their range seemed highly optimistic. With the scalar ring shoved as far up as possible, I measure the feed opening projecting only 0.8 cm beyond the scalar rings. On a deep dish like the Winegard, this is going to cause the feed to illuminate only a center section of the reflector.

I designed a new scalar-like interface for the feed, but I've been too busy to fabricate it. So yesterday I decided to try an intermediate solution by cutting out the portions of the scalar ring that were preventing the ring from being moved further up the feed. I had to saw out sections of the clamping ring to make room for the C-band ports off the feed, and slice two sections out of the scalar rings themselves. With a bit of filing on a couple of ridges inside the clamp, I was able to move the scalar so 2.3 cm of the feed now projects beyond the rings.

This made a substantial improvement in performance. For SQ counters, this bumped up some of high SR transponders by 10-15 percentage points. I made some rough measurements, and believe I'm seeing about a 1-2 dB improvement in most of my SNRs. That's a big deal.

I should also mention that this feed seems to really like the focal point of the dish about 1.2-1.5 cm inside the feedhorn. That's a bit more than I expected. I don't have a Chaparral dual ortho, but on the surface the pictures look pretty close to the ADL, so this mod may also apply to that feed.

I've attached a couple of photos that show (1) the cut-outs on the scalar rings and (2) the portions of the clamping ring that had to be removed. The last picture also shows some beer can shims I added to prevent the scalar from 'walking' when it is being tightened.

Attachments

• Ortho Sliced.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 438
  • Ortho Closeup.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 418
Status
Please reply by conversation.