Dual Tuner Receiver with TV 2 HD Output?

hman920

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
Does anyone know if Dish will ever offer a dual tuner (2 TV) receiver with HD output for the second TV (TV 2)?

It seems the easiest way to do this would be to resurrect a feature Dish had with the old Model 5000 (I think it was the 5000) receiver, the 8VSB HDTV digital modulator output.

An 8VSB HDTV digital modulator would also be a great feature for single tuner receivers as well (like the 211). A digital modulator and a UHF remote kit would be a great way to feed HDTV signals to multiple HDTV's in a house.

Any info would be great...

hman920

Content owners/providers specifically despise any remodulation in HD, especially if it is not encrypted, as would be the case, here. Dish did have a prototype of a whole home solution that remodulated streams in ATSC to each room/TV via coaxial cable, and all one had to do was tune to the ATSC channel and you would have your 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. TV in HD coming from one unit. Dish had to kill it because content owners went nuts.

Also, DirecTV had a prototype of a wireless whole home solution providing streams in HD, but they had problems securing it or couldn't encrypt it well enough for the content owners.

Any limitation from any of the TV providers like Dish, DirecTV or cable, et al, or from bright people like you who have great solutions, is NOT due to lack of technology; it is due to Hollywood studios doing everything they can to hamper such pro-consumer and elegant solutions for whole home distribution. Try finding any recording device made in the last few years that has an HDMI or component for HD input. Good luck. It is not a mere coincidence (Hey, all the TiVo HD models don't have any inputs to allow for recording to the DVR like the Series 2 models! That's dumb; I wonder why? :) Uh, this is true for Moxi, and others, you name it). Of course, even if you did find a component input recording device, the content providers will have the component output in SD only.

The latest cry now is how the content owners are going to deal (as in make them pay or tightly control or even FORBID) with the TV Everywhere concept of people "slinging" or otherwise watching their DVR or cable channels on a smartphone or notebook using a service provided by the cable or satellite company. Content owners are just now waking up to this innovation. Look out. In the future, it could cost us a pretty penny to have TV Everywhere.

Last edited:
Ok, if no HD for TV2 how about digital SD

OK,

If an HD 8VSB digital modulator output is not allowed by the program providers how about an SD 8VSB digital modulator output (with Dolby Digital sound)?

The output would be kind of like how the OTA digital converter boxes work. They receive an HDTV digital signal and then downconvert it to 480i.

480i 8VSB digital (with Dolby Digital sound) would be a lot better than the current NTSC TV2 output found on all these dual tuner receivers.

hman920

As one poster already stated, SLING is it. Dish is focused on TV Everywhere concept, and has already invested a ton of money in SLING; they aren't going anywhere near any of your ideas. Besides, the 922 will be able to wirelessly SLING to the forthcoming companion Sling Monitor 150 to another room you in home in HD or to a Sling Receiver 300 in HD that is connected to your 2nd HDTV or Sling to any Flash enabled 2nd TV in your home in HD for viewing. Those devices are supposed to be available late this year or early next year. Those are Dish's solution to sending HD to a second TV. Sorry, but Dish has been there; done that, and fleed the scene on RF modulators. Today It's all about IP and the internet and home networks that also dovetail into TV Everywhere using the internet. Technology has changed, you know.

Last edited:
IF the way sling is working right now is the future for DISH , then the future looks very bleak. I tried to access my dvr from my parents computer and it didn't work. Tried to access my parents dvr from their house and computer and it didn't work. It works maybe 1 time out of 4 every time I try to access it. Also internet speeds are not consistent around the country. Broad band is non existent in the country. I don't think DISH should of abandoned RF coax yet. Now the way to do this smartly was to allow the sling media extender to work with either coax or wireless over the internet. Then you would of been covered for any internet or house configuration there was.

Even a receiver with dual component/HDMI outputs would be nice.

Of course, with no difference in receiver fees between two single tuners vs one dual tuner, the same thing can be accomplished with two single tuner boxes.

Even a receiver with dual component/HDMI outputs would be nice.

Of course, with no difference in receiver fees between two single tuners vs one dual tuner, the same thing can be accomplished with two single tuner boxes.

And the cost of just ONE additional HDMI output per box multiplied by the millions that are to be manufactured over time? Too much $$ for Charlie when MOST of his subscribers are NOT Power Users like us on this board. The economics just wouldn't work.

However, using Sling addresses both the HDTV to 2nd TV and TV Everywhere and the latter is becoming increasingly desired by all the rabble (non-techy and non-Power Users) of subscribers to cable, sat, etc. It is the real future of TV. Now that makes more economic sense to Dish.

But I must agree with an earlier poster who has had less than great experiences with Sling currently implemented in Dish products. I am hoping that things well get much better as this is the first generation Sling built-in Dish DVR's. Yeah, they better get this working right or it will be heck for us getting HD to the 2nd TV.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts