Please reply by conversation.

ZandarKoad

Amish Satellite Technician
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 13, 2005
Nashville, TN
I think I already know the answer to this question, but I'm looking for accurate explanations why it's not technically possible.

Can you use a DirecTV Slimline Dish and a Ka / Ku 3 LNB to point at and receive channels from Galaxy 19?

My guess is the polarity on DirecTV is circular while the FTA on 97W is linear.

Yes, your guess is correct, you can't get the linear signals with a Ka/Ku circular LNBF.

I have a thread here on the forum where I used a Slimline, put a linear LNBF on it, put it on a motor, and got a bunch of the linear Ku signals across the arc.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/228019-dtv-slimline-w-satav-sl2-lnbf.html

My follow on question is could you mount a different LNB on the same arm and pick up FTA sats? I looked at the post and see it worked....but the motor seemed central to the project. Is that because you can control the az, el & tilt for the FTA sats? Could the same control give you back the Directv sats by entering their coordinates? Or would two converters on the same arm block each other?

Would the old PrimeStar eq (linear) work with the receiver you mentioned?

Joe

Last edited:
My follow on question is could you mount a different LNB on the same arm and pick up FTA sats? I looked at the post and see it worked....but the motor seemed central to the project. Is that because you can control the az, el & tilt for the FTA sats? Could the same control give you back the Directv sats by entering their coordinates? Or would two converters on the same arm block each other?

Would the old PrimeStar eq (linear) work with the receiver you mentioned?

Joe

The motor is just an aiming device, the only thing it has to do with reception is just pointing and skewing the dish.

The linear LNBF that I installed will not get the Dtv circular signals, and yes I think a Primestar LNBF (eq?) will work on that dish, it may not be perfectly matched to it though.

The P* LNBF will definitely work on a Coolsat 6K (or any DVB FTA receiver).

The motor is just an aiming device, the only thing it has to do with reception is just pointing and skewing the dish.

The linear LNBF that I installed will not get the Dtv circular signals, and yes I think a Primestar LNBF (eq?) will work on that dish, it may not be perfectly matched to it though.

The P* LNBF will definitely work on a Coolsat 6K (or any DVB FTA receiver).

Thanks,

Back in the day I got the sense that the motor arm and a controller were all one component of the big Ku band dishes. Techs would tune the motor and arm to move the dish from sat to sat and just wanted to be clear that was not what you were speaking about...........or to say it another way......you could tune the dish around by hand is you had a compass and a meter.
BTW I still have a pile of PrimeStar dishes & eq if there is a use for them.....I have been making planters and bird baths out of them.

Joe

Primestar dishes are some of the FINEST Ku FTA dishes for their size, period. They take a little work to put on a motor, and might require a multiswitch to get both polarities, but they are commercial quality dishes.

FYI, if you refer to the LNBF as an "eq" no one will know what you are talking about. :)

What size(s) do you have, and are they oval or "round".

Also, do you have any of the Primestar dual LNBF setups? I have been looking for some of those for my "Great Primestar Array" project.

Where are you? If you want to get rid of the primestar dishes etc and are close, I will take them off your hands. I have at least 4 more people interested in the Glorystar line up that either can not or do not want to pay much for it. Our success with the tin dishes (even the DirecTv and Dish) has not been good in the wind around here.

Yes, your guess is correct, you can't get the linear signals with a Ka/Ku circular LNBF.

I have a thread here on the forum where I used a Slimline, put a linear LNBF on it, put it on a motor, and got a bunch of the linear Ku signals across the arc.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/228019-dtv-slimline-w-satav-sl2-lnbf.html

Back to my OP: I told the guy who was asking about the LNB polarities, and he said and I gave him "too much information to be helpful." LOL! And he thought $95 was too much to pay a guy (me) to hook up his ill-advised configuration. That's $30 under my normal FTA rate... I'm tempted to charge him $50 just so I can peak in his dish and have him get zero channels... LOL (I wouldn't really do that, btw.)

But yeah, back to the topic at hand. I think I'm going to be saving all these POP scans on every FTA I do now... I'll have to come up with a system of comparing signals based on the orbitals / transponders / reflectors / zip codes... I've got basically an infinite supply of used slimlines dishes. I have 20+ on hand. I just need some appropriate LNBs. I've always just gone with SL1 Bullet from Glorystar.

Primestar dishes are some of the FINEST Ku FTA dishes for their size, period. They take a little work to put on a motor, and might require a multiswitch to get both polarities, but they are commercial quality dishes.

FYI, if you refer to the LNBF as an "eq" no one will know what you are talking about. :)

What size(s) do you have, and are they oval or "round".

Also, do you have any of the Primestar dual LNBF setups? I have been looking for some of those for my "Great Primestar Array" project.

Let me survey my inventory...............I agree everything about the eq was top quality.....first thing the bean counters did was eliminate the bells and whistles.

For sure I have some round and some elliptical Pstar stuff. I'll try to get part numbers or pics.

Thanks,

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts