Dumb Money

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SamCdbs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 7, 2008
So my local paper, and I guess most people's, had a full page ad about the Time Warner - ESPN dispute and telling people to "hurry" to get DirecTV.

The problem?

Time Warner left this market decades ago. The main cable system is Suddenstink, in outlaying area, its Commiecast.

Zero people who get this paper have TW.

Now, Suddenstink has a whopping 20 HD channels and presents the majority of its SD in grainy analog. No NFLN, no MLBN, no Big 10 N (which has a game of the nearest Div I team to the market next week), no Reds games, no ESPNUHD, no ESPNC, no etc, etc, etc.

An ad in LOCAL media about the LOCAL situation? No, just buy the same ad all over the country.

Dumb Money.

Your nicknames for the cable companies are original. Never heard derogatory terms for those companies before.

If it's the ad I've seen around here it wasn't paid by DirecTV, but rather by ABC/ESPN as a way to pressure Time-Warner to reach an agreement. In this area it says to switch either DirecTV or FIOS.

In the case you mention, perhaps your paper is also distributed in communities that do have T-W. If not, then I'm guessing it was a mistake by the advertising agency hired by ABC/ESPN to place the ad.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)