Dumpster full of dishes/lnbs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
I just took a break from work and walked past a Directv installer down the street...WOW! I have never seen so many Directv dishes in one spot before. There is a dumpster (hugh - goes on back of truck) from a local scrapyard and it is 3/4 full with 18" up to multi feed Directv dishes and lnbs! I think this must be where he pulled my 2 Primestar dishes out of :) Anyway, I wish there were some larger dishes in there :)

A year ago The cable company here must have been offering a special to switch from satellite to the cable service if you brought in your old dish and or receiver.i was doing some work at that location and seen many 18 in dishes and a variety of receivers such as BEV and Starchoice.
But I was not familiar with FTA then, now I would like a used Starchoice RX so I could pick up Access Tv out of Alberta.

Dave

Eastcoast said:
A year ago The cable company here must have been offering a special to switch from satellite to the cable service if you brought in your old dish and or receiver.i was doing some work at that location and seen many 18 in dishes and a variety of receivers such as BEV and Starchoice.
But I was not familiar with FTA then, now I would like a used Starchoice RX so I could pick up Access Tv out of Alberta.

Dave

I have an old SC rx for that along with Knowledge, CKUA, & Voiceprint. (bad broker deal)
as for the dish for cable special, I guess that would be one of the reasons Dish and DirecTV went to a lease program here. keep cable from throwing out there crap. :)

I guess that would be one of the reasons Dish and DirecTV went to a lease program here. keep cable from throwing out (their) crap.

The other reason to do it is to make it a pain in the a** to cancel your 18" sub early. If you cancel early, you have to pay them $300 and send your equipment back (at least those are the new rules from DireTV the way I interpreted them .)

Hantu

That would be fun to dumpster dive in. Back in high school we'd go look through the dumpster at compusa and office depot, found a bunch of old software still shrink wrapped and always misc. office supplies.

I would not dumpster dive in this dumpster without asking, as it is roll off type from a scrap yard, so I assume the dtv dealer gets $ for the scrap. I just glanced in, and saw directv equipment everywhere :)

I am not sure what I would do with Directv Dishes/lnbs. Any good projects to do with them? I already have audio from Dish feeding into my Fortec from my open feeds on my Dish 500. Anything else worthwhile?

other than that, not really

Lets see...DBS slots and whats on there (just did this last night)

61.5-mirror of Dish 101 and a screen to say "you are at the 61.5 orbital location"
82-weather network (Canada's version of Weather Channel)
91-all the good stuff is gone (most of the radio stations) :( 4 radio stations and Channel 198 (ExpressVu's version of Dish 101)
110-covered
119-covered
129-screen to say "you have a Dish 1000"
148-mirror of Dish 101 (about 10 of them) and a screen to say "you are at the 148 orbital slot"

so not much else on those. But if you can get a couple of dishes or LNB's you can have them for backup :)

Make yourself an inverted 18" dish, hours (OK minutes) of fun!

Attachments

• Pict0080.JPG
    Pict0080.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 191
I allready have a few 18" dishes, so don't need any more :) But, I think I will stop in and ask if I can have a looksee, maybe they will have an FTA dish in there.

iafirebuff said:
Hmmm...never thought of that! Can I get birds from "down under"?

nope. Due to the earth being round and the satellite beam

The reason for the inverted dish is when you need to get a low elevation. As an example, Dish 148 is at a 15 elevation here in MN and the dish I had would only go to a 20 elevation. So I flipped it and was able to get the signal with no issues :)

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.