Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today I installed DVB Dream and hooked it up to my G10R dedicated dish. I like DVB Dream MUCH BETTER then MyTheathre.

Anyways I wanted to go down the stairs and play XBOX360 for awhile but I also wanted to watch RTN, so I tried getting VLC to work on DVB Dream but have had no luck.

I suspect it is a CODEC issue. I went to the DVB Forum and installed all the codecs they suggested (WinDVD)

I can connect to the server with no problem and get data, but it does not decode the video (see the pictures down below)

Anyone know how I get this to work?

Attachments

• stream1.jpg
    stream1.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 3,203
  • stream2.jpg
    stream2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 3,058
  • stream3.jpg
    stream3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 2,525
  • stream4.jpg
    stream4.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2,384
Besides installing the correct codecs, you may have to change the priority they are used, you can use the program gSpot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) to see which codec chain is in use for a particular filetype, sometimes there will be a filter insterted into a chain and can mess things up, and use, DirectShow Filter Manager (http://www.softella.com/dsfm/index.en.htm) to add/remove/change them to the correct ones. Make note of what changes you make so you can always go back.

Hope it helps.

Today I installed DVB Dream and hooked it up to my G10R dedicated dish. I like DVB Dream MUCH BETTER then MyTheathre.

Anyways I wanted to go down the stairs and play XBOX360 for awhile but I also wanted to watch RTN, so I tried getting VLC to work on DVB Dream but have had no luck.

I suspect it is a CODEC issue. I went to the DVB Forum and installed all the codecs they suggested (WinDVD)

I can connect to the server with no problem and get data, but it does not decode the video (see the pictures down below)

Anyone know how I get this to work?

If you are streaming to VLC it has nothing to do with the CODEC's on the pc with DVBDream since it's just sending a stream. It's up to VLC to decode it.

Are you able to get VLC to display the video on the machine DVBDream is on?

i.e VLC input is the network stream 127.0.0.1:<port> where port is whatever DVBDream uses. (Can't remember as I am at work)

Any firewall issues to deal with?

Have you tried unicast streaming directly to your xbox IP instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.255?

How about streaming a video file using VLC to VLC on your xbox?

And I agree, the codecs are irrelevant to streaming to VLC.

Last edited:
How are codecs irrelevant???, as VLC reads an ENCODED stream (encoding requires codecs, not just for decoding) sent from the broadcasting PC that is encoding it, then it gets decoded (VLC does have built-ins, but remember, the broadcasting PC must encode it with a codec first, anbd this is where the codec issue comes into play), if the (enc/decoding) codec chain is broken from the sending PC, VLC may not be able to fix/detect/play it, hence gSpot and DSFM, complete instructions for gspot were at the url [1] I gave to you.

[1]: http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Last edited:
How are codecs irrelevant???, as VLC reads an ENCODED stream (encoding requires codecs, not just for decoding) sent from the broadcasting PC that is encoding it, then it gets decoded (VLC does have built-ins, but remember, the broadcasting PC must encode it with a codec first, anbd this is where the codec issue comes into play), if the (enc/decoding) codec chain is broken from the sending PC, VLC may not be able to fix/detect/play it, hence gSpot and DSFM, complete instructions for gspot were at the url [1] I gave to you.

DVBDream only needs a decoder to view the video. What is streamed over the LAN is the same data that is fed to the directshow filters.

I guess I should have said screwing around with stupid directshow filters is unnecessary with VLC. Otherwise things like TSReader would not work and I couldn't send video using the TSreader/VLC combo to my Mac (which doesn't use Directshow obviously).

I maintain you do NOT need a decoder on the stream server to view the stream on the client. Obviously you need a decoder on the client.

Codecs are only needed to display the stream not send it.

Not in this case. No need to encode something if its already encoded.

Perhaps not in this case, if the sending app does not do any reencoding, but, to clarify, reencoding is often used for various reasons, such as bandwidth considerations, and reencoding is not the act of encoding something that is already encoded, it actually reverses the encoding (decode), and reencodes it, so I never said or implied that you have to encode something that is already encoded.

It appears to be an issue with DVB Dream.

As this morning I was in Tsreader and pulled up the transponder with the FTA Angel 1 channel on it. I double clicked on the picture of Angel 1 and VLC opened up with the Angel 1 stream.

So its not an issue with VLC.

It appears to be an issue with DVB Dream.

As this morning I was in Tsreader and pulled up the transponder with the FTA Angel 1 channel on it. I double clicked on the picture of Angel 1 and VLC opened up with the Angel 1 stream.

So its not an issue with VLC.

Why not use TSReader/VLC to stream to your Xbox? I stream to all the computers in my house (wired and wireless) as well as over the internet to my computer at work using this combination quite succesfully.

because i dont use TSreader for watching TV, only use it for uplink reports, I was using mytheater now I am using DVB Dream, much easier to use. :)

because i dont use TSreader for watching TV, only use it for uplink reports, I was using mytheater now I am using DVB Dream, much easier to use. :)

DVBDream is certainly a nice program. Well above MyTheatre and ProgDVB in my opinion. When LAN streaming was added I tried using VLC locally (stream to 127.0.0.1 using DVBDream) and found the video choppy (AMD A64 X2 4600) so never tried over the LAN to another computer. Maybe I'll try this and see if it works for me. Since I'm almost exclusively a feedhunter I don't have much need for a channel list and TSReader does everything I need.

I cant figure how to use Tsreader, I just load it up hit my AB switch to the Dish Network cable, select a Dish transponder, download the data and exit the program then run the uplink report software. :)

Have you had any success with DVBDream streaming yet? Last night I brought up DVBDream 1.3a and successfully streamed to another machine running VLC on my LAN.

DVBDream LAN settings were 192.168.1.201 (address of the machine I'm streaming to) port was 1234. On that machine VLC opened the stream using "Open Network Stream" "UDP/RTP Port 1234" and up came the video.

I also had to stop Norton on the machine running DVBDream from blocking port 1234. It seemed to think that a trojan of some kind was coming through that port. The client machine was a Mac so I don't bother running antivirus/trojan software on it.

For those that are interested the stream was the East CBS HDTV Network feed off of IA-6/C.

ok is this a DVB VLC streaming thread or a VLC streaming thread using any TSreader ,MyTheatre or any other,, i am in need of help with this activity, iwant to do what MarkCalgary is doing,, streaming over the net?i dont want to highjack

I've been anxious to try DVBdream for some time.
Looks very impressive!

Doing research on it , I find that it's based on an obsolete interface: DVBcore
Well, DVBcore was public 'till Saar, the developer of MyTheatre decided to stop making the call interface public.
So, DVBdream and a few more programs must live with the older version of DVBcore.
What this means, is that there will be no support for the newest boards by those programs.
You are "stuck" with MyTheatre. Or on other applications not based on DVBcore.

...if it matters...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)