This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

DVB modulator

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iBoston

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 15, 2014
North Central
Anyone ever played with a DVBS modulator? I was thinking of doing some tinkering.
I was thinking of taking a RCA signal and running it through a DVB modulator so that i could then pick up the video/audio feed on any DVBS satellite receiver.

I included a picture of a DVB modulator (back panel) and was wondering how you would feed analog audio/video into it.. I assume the Video would go into one of the BNC connectors, would another BNC be for audio?

Has anyone done this before?

Attachments

• screenshot.1490030302.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 181
Reactions: k.r.
Well, doing some research, it looks like you need an Encoder to work with the Modulator. Still researching...

Reactions: k.r.
More research leads me to believe, you need an encoder unless you have something that outputs in DVB-ASI. So, if my understanding is correct I could possibly use the DVB-ASI output on the DCII receiver into the ASI in-port of the modulator to then transfer a DCII signal to a DVBS signal. ??

Otherwise, i would need an encoder and input the analog video into the encoder which then sends the signal to the modulator into a DVBS signal.

Correct. If your source is already encoded, feed the modulator and output a DVB compliant carrier to be tuned with a DVB receiver. If a closed distribution system use LO: 0 and the IF between 950-2150MHz.

Reactions: iBoston
Correct. If your source is already encoded, feed the modulator and output a DVB compliant carrier to be tuned with a DVB receiver. If a closed distribution system use LO: 0 and the IF between 950-2150MHz.

Your IF between 950-2150 Mhz is an important point, as I see there are IF outputs which are 75-150 Mhz, and under this situation, i would need an L-band output.

A FTA DVBS receiver tuner IF range is 960-2150MHz. The modulator's RF output needs to be within this range. The modulator may have an IF output, but that would not be used with a DVBS STB.

Well, it looks like that will just remain a fantasy thought. I cannot seem to find a modulator that i believe would do the trick for less than $200.oo and that's a bit too steep for Putz-in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.