DVB PCI cards

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Did you happen to see the Skystar HD sat card they are advertising on the site now? Looks interesting. It is supposed to do 1080i. And supports MPEG4.
I might have to do some digging and find a way to get one!!!
grusome

EDIT:
Hmmmmm, just re-read the HD requirements..............

This sounds like it is a basic card like the Skystar2 that doesn't do hardware decoding and will require a hefty pc for doing HD..............sorry for not catching that before my inital post. Still, interesting to some degree though.

Consider around a 3.0 ghz machine for software HD .

Wyr

Did you happen to see the Skystar HD sat card they are advertising on the site now? Looks interesting. It is supposed to do 1080i. And supports MPEG4.
I might have to do some digging and find a way to get one!!!
grusome

EDIT:
Hmmmmm, just re-read the HD requirements..............

This sounds like it is a basic card like the Skystar2 that doesn't do hardware decoding and will require a hefty pc for doing HD..............sorry for not catching that before my inital post. Still, interesting to some degree though.

grusome,

I will combine my SkyStar 2 ver. 2.6D with a DVB S card that does decoding as well as blind scan...

I have no direct knowledge of PCI DVB-S cards that do blind scan . ( ot software that might support blind scan . )

Blind scan is much more common with set top boxes .

Wyr

WyrTwister,

I believe that Hauppauge WinTV 717 Nexus-S does blind scan as well as MPEG2 decoding...if not this card there is a card TT-premium® S-2300 which is almost identical with Nexus-S.

Thus the question I posed I am trying to find out which version of the Hauppauge WinTV 717 Nexus-S has blind scan…which versions are being sold today, since it appears that all information is posted on the internet is not up to date…I am interested in WinTV Nexus-S versions 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 I believe those have hardware blind scan…is version 2.3 the latest Nexus-S is 717 one of them…do not know this, but before I drop $158.00 I want to make sure this time that I have what I want (features and options) or what I am paying for. I posted question to Hauppauge technical support, does 717 Nexus card support hardware blind scan

Nexus-s never had hardware blind scan, only the skystar 2 version 2.3.

Nexus-s has a version 2.3 but it does not have hardware blind scan.

People buy the Nexus for the Mpeg decoder and the Skystar 2 v2.3 for Blind Scan.

Nexus-s never had hardware blind scan, only the skystar 2 version 2.3.

Nexus-s has a version 2.3 but it does not have hardware blind scan.

People buy the Nexus for the Mpeg decoder and the Skystar 2 v2.3 for Blind Scan.

Got my card few minutes ago, on its way home...TechniSat – Sky Star 2 PCI 2.3 P the cost to me EUR 37 plus shipping...

Last edited:
I got this from TechniSat support, this should clear things up a bit...about blind scan.

"TechniSat Support International" <support@mediacenter.lu>

Hello,

a blind scan is possible ie with the TV application DVBViewer TE, if
you
know the symbol rates which should be tested. The software does not
contain the AutoSR function anymore. This was supported by the SkyStar
rev 2.3 and rev 2.3P tuner only.

Within DVBViewer TE you just have to ignore the root list selection.
Then enter the symbol rates which should be tested and the stepsize
which should be used.

If there are any further questions, read the FAQ, which is enclosed to
this mail or feel free to contact the technical support again using the
support email address support@mediacenter.lu .

Best regards

Support Team

The Technotrend Premium S2300 is identical to Hauppauge Nexus-S 2.3, but additional Features! Tuner: ALPS BSBE1-502a, Audio Audio-DAC Crystal CY7C024AV-25AC…It also comes with Linux support...."For Linux please use dvb-kernel CVS or Kernel 2.6. The current Kernel 2.6.12 uses the driver of the dvb-kernel CVS and works properly (23.06.2005)"…

I purchased a SkyStar 2 Ver. 2.3P which has hardware blind scan support due to VP310 chip…so now I will combine SkyStar 2 Ver. 2.6C and SkyStar 2 Ver. 2.3P and Technotrend Premium S2300. So my Dreambox will have 3 tuners in one box, perhaps I will use one card with FORTEC STAR FS6D 180CM C/Ku Prime Focus Dish for C band reception, and the SS2 ver, 2.3P with my motorized PrimeStar 74e for Ku band reception…the SS2 ver. 2.6C I will combine with a DishNetwork dish I am getting for free in spring comes with a motor and a roof mount but I will set all tree dishes on pole mounts…

As I put all these elements together and start to test I will decide…on what kind functionality my Dreambox receiver will have…

If anyone interested in purchasing a SkyStar 2 ver 2.3PM, I found one more card, send me a PM and I will give you the link to where to purchase it…

in a word: no

No, it's for North American hi def reception from your local TV station.

I have a Kworld standard def usb box (TV and FM radio reception), and can't say a lot of good about it.
Didn't cost much (on sale) but didn't perform all that well.

As for the company's K-100 DVB card (PCI satellite receiver), that was a dog 'till
it recently got better support or a better driver.

However, the device you found isn't too expensive, so go have some fun with it.
It's just not FTA in the satellite-sense. :)

thanks for the reply. i didnt know that. Well i guess my choices for FTA HDTV are:
-Hauppauge WINTV-NEXUS-S/SATELLITE TV/PCI ( 717 )<-http://www.amazon.com/Hauppauge-WINTV-NEXUS-S-SATELLITE-PCI-717/dp/B00005OCA1
-Skystar 2 DVB-S Satellite PCI card<-http://www.cyberestore.com/skystar-dvbs-satellite-card-with-remote-control-p-77.html
-DigitalNow DNTV Live! QuattroS TV Card, PCI-E, DVB-T/ DVB-S/ Analog TV<-http://www.eyo.com.au/prod_D-DNTV-QuattroS_proddesc_DigitalNow_DNTV_Live_QuattroS_TV_Card_PCI-E_DVB-T_DVB-S_Analog_TV_FM.html
-AVerMedia AVerTV DVB-S Pro Internal PCI Digital Satellite TV Tuner Card, 75 Ohm Coaxial<-http://www.i-tech.com.au/products/235_AVerMedia_AVerTV_DVB_S_Pro_Internal.aspx

Any favorites among those?
Or better ones I didnt mention?

If you look around, you'll find other discussion threads , as well as reviews of some PCI and/or USB sat receivers.

More importantly, get a list of cards supported by the software you intend to use.
If not familiar with those, look up some of the following:
MyTheatre
DVBdream
ProgDVB
RitzDVB
There are others, and there may well be a list on this forum, too.
Each has a web site, and a list of cards they support.
Some are free, and that may or may not be a good bargain. :rolleyes:

I'm going to get a Twinhan 102g card next week. I already have their USB Starbox.
However, that is not an endorsement of the brand.
Proper operation (or satisfactory operation) is more up to the software, in my opinion.
I have no opinion of any pre-bundled software.

Come to think of it, isn't there a FAQ around here with all this info...??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)